External HD being recognized as a printer

bsthies

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hello, folks. I was hoping to get a little advise or idea on a problem here.

I have an external hard drive (USB 2.0) that when I connect it to my computer, it's recognized as an HP Printer (7410) - which was at one time my local printer, but not any more, though. No printer is connected now, and it still recognizes the HD as a printer. Can't remember exactly what the error is when I try to open (computer is at work), but essentially the drive will not open to all my files. I can post more info later, if needed, but for now my question was if anyone has seen this before or if maybe there's something in the registry I can change to fix this. I've looked all over and I can't seen anything in the disk management or device manager that seems to help...or at least if there is, I'm not sure what to mess with, so that's partly why I'm thinking maybe there's some tic in the registry that I can change. Thoughts?

OS is XP
HP laptop - NC6000

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Go to the HP website and find the instructions for uninstalling the printer. You'll have to delete some registry files and maybe some folders. HP printers are a PITA to uninstall.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

No harder to uninstall than, lets say "A WIFE"!!!!!