Your question

Benefits of a Raptor?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Raptor
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 15, 2007 12:20:42 PM

Currently im using a 500GB Seggate Baracudda HD as my 1 and only hard drive. Although recently i might have the chance to get a WD Raptor 74GB through my work for free.

Few things, i use my PC for gaming and general net surfing, vvideo watching etc. From a gaming perspective, whats the benefits of having a raptor house the OS and having the games saved on a seperate hard drive if any?

Also i have a 520W Corsair, its currently supporting a 8800 GTX, E6750, 4 Fans, 1 Fan Controller, 1 DVD-RW drive and the Hard drive. Will it be ok to add something like a Raptor to that setup?

Any advice would be great :D 

More about : benefits raptor

August 15, 2007 1:26:21 PM

I own a 74 GB Raptor and I can honestly say there is a perceptible difference in performance from it and the 7200 rpm drive it replaced (also WD) Obviously having the clean Windows installation helped, but even accounting for that there was a difference. In terms of noise... it does seem to generate a fair amount (nothing dramatic) For me I noticed quicker OS load times and quicker load times on games (I was playing BF2 a lot at the time) Was it night and day difference? Nope. Is it expensive relative to its size? Yep. Do I regret buying it? Nope. Do I think it'd benefit your setup? Sure... you've already spent $500+ on a video card so you obviously care about performance. Indulge!

August 15, 2007 1:26:58 PM

Raptors spin at 10,000 RPM as opposed to 7200 which translates into much better seek & write times. In fact, the average seek time of a raptor is approx. half of most 7200 rpm drives. So the biggest advantages of putting your OS on a Raptor is that your boot times will improve noticeably, and load times of any program that is not already in memory will improve.

Anytime you can separate your OS and programs onto separate drives, you are allowing the drives to work in parallel, which is much faster than if everything had to read/write from a single drive. It also minimizes file fragmentation on your OS host drive.

Solid State Drives are starting to appear on the market. These drives are not based on mechanical spindles, but on flash memory. As a result, the response time of these drives is incredibly faster than any mechanical hard drive on the market. Boot time with one of these drives is almost instantaneous.
Related resources
August 15, 2007 1:34:15 PM

If the Raptor is free why are you even questioning it.

To answer your questions the PSU is fine. With the OS on a raptor you will get quicker load times for everything including booting the system. You will get higher fps because it can accsess the files quicker. To put it simply if it is free their are no negatives to having a raptor.
August 15, 2007 1:45:44 PM

The only negative is the small size of your raptor. If your could have a second one and put them in RAID, you would have a much better performance and better size. You could use your current HD for data.

I do not currently own a raptor and may be eventually would like a RAID of two 150GB. They are expensive for the size! :)  We need Seagate to produce 10K so the price could be lower!
August 15, 2007 2:54:29 PM

Awesome advice guys thanks :D  Gonna get the drive and install my Oss fresh on it and use the 500 GB one as my music, games and videos drive.
August 16, 2007 5:10:33 AM

gpippas said:
You will get higher fps because it can accsess the files quicker.

:whistle: 

Do you honestly believe that a faster HDD will result in higher FPS?

Don't you think the "Loading" scenes are there to load everything into RAM so that the game does not need any I/O access during the game itself? After all, if the game needs data on the harddrive, it would need at least 8ms to get there, probably more. At that time, it would probably have lost one of more frames, resulting in a short stall in framerate. A faster HDD will result in shorter waiting times though, but should not change anything about framerates.
August 16, 2007 5:41:35 AM

Indeed FPS is completely irrelevant to the HDD specs. If games were running directly from disk, you probably wouldn't even achieve 1 FPS. RAM accesses can be thousands of times faster than disk.

Glorious will be the day when all persistent storage can be accessed as quickly as L1 cache. Unfortunately, that day is nowhere in sight.
August 16, 2007 5:52:12 AM

as has been said many a time, go for a raptor when you can, as the OS and applications can only benefit from its faster seek times, and then store everything else such as mp3s and movies on another larger [slower] hdd

and since its free, theres absolutely no reason not to use it, since the cost/capacity ratio compared to other 7200s is typically the main reason that people are hesitant about getting one.

edit: regarding the comment about higher fps, i can see that being partially true, but only if the hdd the game is on is being accessed a ton for data or whatever (such as with an MMO at various points during gameplay, where uncached data might be accessed at random intervals, due to the unpredictability of MMOs in general, which is one area of many where a raptors noticably faster random access times would come in handy), or because of where the pagefile might be stored. all the pagefile is though, is pretty much just virtual memory for windows as a substitute for real memory, but more real memory is what you really need then, not so much a faster hdd for hosting the pagefile.

anytime you access uncached data, particularly smaller files, or lots of them even, then faster seek times will certainly help (as is the case with most windows files and applications)... once the data is cached in ram however, then hdd speed in general is pretty unimportant.
August 16, 2007 7:19:36 AM

Charnondall said:
Currently im using a 500GB Seggate Baracudda HD as my 1 and only hard drive. Although recently i might have the chance to get a WD Raptor 74GB through my work for free.

Few things, i use my PC for gaming and general net surfing, vvideo watching etc. From a gaming perspective, whats the benefits of having a raptor house the OS and having the games saved on a seperate hard drive if any?

Also i have a 520W Corsair, its currently supporting a 8800 GTX, E6750, 4 Fans, 1 Fan Controller, 1 DVD-RW drive and the Hard drive. Will it be ok to add something like a Raptor to that setup?

August 16, 2007 7:25:39 AM

Charnondall said:

I have 2 74gigs raptors in raid 0 never had a single problem. I did notice game loading times online are much faster than before. I'm usually one of the first ones in the room. So far I have 2 years of life in them so far. As far as noise I dont notice a difference. Dont regret them one bit. These are the first generation 74gig raptors. Used them in my old P4 first.

E6600
crucial DDR2 800 2gigs
2 74gigs raptors
x1950xtx's in X-fire
antec 550w
August 16, 2007 11:58:05 PM

out curiousity when i get it i know i should put all music etc on the 2nd hard drive, but games should i install them on the 500 gb hard drive or install them on the raptor?
August 17, 2007 12:29:06 AM

the OS and all applications should be installed on the raptor, as thats where they will see the most benefit.
August 21, 2007 12:00:12 PM

Sorry to dig up my old topic guys but got the raptor today, going home tonight after work and gonna do a fresh Windows install etc.

The after that gonna install all my programs on the raptor like office etc etc, and then move my Music, Videos and reinstall all my Games on the 500 GB. That sound ok?

Reason for installing games on 500 GB is cause well a few of my games take up like 6gb install space and i have like 8 i play now and then in total which is alota space on a wee raptor. Will i notice any quirks or performance dips from installing games on the 2nd hard drive or will it all work perfect?

Thanks
August 21, 2007 1:34:48 PM

Charnondall said:
Sorry to dig up my old topic guys but got the raptor today, going home tonight after work and gonna do a fresh Windows install etc.

The after that gonna install all my programs on the raptor like office etc etc, and then move my Music, Videos and reinstall all my Games on the 500 GB. That sound ok?

Reason for installing games on 500 GB is cause well a few of my games take up like 6gb install space and i have like 8 i play now and then in total which is alota space on a wee raptor. Will i notice any quirks or performance dips from installing games on the 2nd hard drive or will it all work perfect?

Thanks

There won't be any issues with putting some games on the 2nd drive. Just put the ones you use the most on the raptor (Or the ones with the longest load times!) and put the remainder on the 7200rpm drive. Put office on the 7200 drive too, it really doesn't need the extra performance. I just have my OS on mine, and I rotate games onto it.

As for the FPS, heck no a Raptor won't give you extra frames, but it will reduce stutter caused by cacheing in some applications. Which is kinda sorta like a FPS boost, but not really.
August 21, 2007 2:13:44 PM

Charnondall said:

For game boxes, I like putting the OS, apps and pagefile on a 74GB Raptor and nothing else. A second drive can be for data, music, etc. This way, it's easy to do maintenance on the OS drive because it won't get filled unless you load a ton of games.