Intel 5100 AGN + Linksys WRT610N = good connection?

rpeters1983

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I plan on picking up a Sony Vaio laptop with this wireless chipset. My router at home is the WRT610n (dual-band 802.11n). I'm asking because previously, I brought home a Lenovo Ideapad with the same 5100 wireless and had to return two units due to extremely poor wireless range in N-wireless mode (5 or 2.4 ghz) and constant cutting out. It seemed to do better in G-mode.

In areas where my macbook (5 ghz N mode) and my older PC notebook (2.4 Ghz G mode) got excellent signal, the lenovo was cutting out and getting poor signal.

Could it be perhaps that laptop didn't have it set up correctly? Maybe? I really want a new laptop and want to make use of the 5ghz band as there's lots of interference near my house from neighbors.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Texas-Hansen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
How did this turn out for you?

I have a Sony Vaio with the Intel 5100 wireless card in it and have been using a Belkin wireless router with erratic connection speeds. Ranges from 72 mbps (can't get more for some reason) down to 9 mbps. I'm thinking about trying the Linksys 610N dual band to see if that helps. I'd like to see how others are finding it to work before I buy another router.