What is wrong with temperature...???

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I have a Prescott 3GHz (no overclock) and I have big trouble in temperature :fou: . With stock intel heatsink that has Aluminum spokes and a cooper cylinder at the center and variable fan speed you can see temperature and fan speed in bios. What is your opinion???? I think it is very bad!!!

6d1zdbm.jpg

So I went and bought a cooler master circular all cooper heatsink. Unfortunately the fan I think has constant speed (about 2700 RPM). This time temperature is almost the same as before!!!! And when I run some heavy applications, the temperature easily (less than 5 minute) reaches 70 degree.

Cooler master is bigger that stock heatsink but why it does not have even little improvement in CPU temperature? What is wrong???

Need help….

shk

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Are you using thermal paste
-Are you using a lot or a little (should be very thin layer)
Are you mounting the heatsink correctly
-Does it have full contact
-Is it seated tightly or does it rotate
Is the fan placed in the correct direction?
Have you tried testing the temperatures with the case door off?

That's all I can think of. :)

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I do what the manual said. I think I use the thermal paste as it was needed.

also the heatsink has 2 screws and I tighten them, so I think there is no rotation.

what do you mean "Is the fan placed in the correct direction?" it is 478 and has rectagular shape, so there is only one state one can set the heatsink

yes I tried with case door off. the fan speed will not go high, but the temperature easly reaches 70.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I have a question...
when the case door is off, the speed is almost constant but the temperature goes high.
when the case door is on, the speed also goes high.... so this means that the fan speed is only dependent on case and ambient temprature and not CPU temperature.

is it right??????

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I think prescotts run really hot anyways do they not?. And what HS did you buy? I dont think "Circular" is a model that cooler master sells. If you bought one of them vortex things then thats not hardly even gonna be better then the stock cooler. I mean if its the same size, just made of copper, then the all copper helps but not that much.

Your gonna need to either LAPP your CPU and HS, or return ithe HS and buy a XP-120 or Big typhoon or some appropriate HS.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Lapping is taking a 200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and taping it to a glass table. Put a table spoon of water on the sandpaper, and sand the IHS of your CPU until its flat. Do the same to your HS. Once flatness is achieved, switch to 400 grit and get the 200grit scratches out. Then proceed to a 600 grit and remove the 400 grit scratches. If your really feeling froggy you can proceed this way all the way to 2000grit for a copper mirror. But beyond 600-800grit is diminishing returns. Then use arctic silver Ceramique to the TIM

Thats what lapping is. And it took a full 10C off my load temps because both my E4300 AND my Ninja looked like this:
img0004ty1.jpg

They basically formed a clamshell. After lapping, both were flat and looked like this:
img0069jr1pf9ss5.jpg

This is a 600grit after some Weimens polish. Polishing the HS is only for the picture and actually hurts its performance if you dont clean the polish off before using it.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Actually I found that mine is not cooler master!!!!!!! so I revise my post. Here are some snapshots for this cooler. (high resolution pics are also available)

68mqazc.jpg

4ya448k.jpg

624i26u.jpg

The thermal paste I use has these specifications:

STAR 360
Thermal resistance < 0.06 c-in2/w
Thermal conductivity > 4.5 w/m-k
Thermal breakdown > 5 kV ac

Type: silicon fluid
Physical form: grease like
Color: gray opaque

Balance stars co. (LTD)