Malcolm

I have borrowed a cd its a training cd for an exam I am studying and cannot
open it I have got as far as installing it and it shows up on my desktop but
I cannot get it started.

Can anyone suggest any ideas how I start it.

Malcolm Cook

contact the publisher of the CD and the book to see what is
required to run your CD, often such CDs must be run from the
CD drive and not the hard drive. It may require a password.
Look at the contents of the CD for a readme file.

Is this an English grammar exam or a what?

some support

"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

Malcolm wrote:
> I have borrowed a cd its a training cd for an exam I am studying and
> cannot open it I have got as far as installing it and it shows up on
> my desktop but I cannot get it started.
>
> Can anyone suggest any ideas how I start it.
>
> Malcolm Cook

How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Act Smart on Usenet

Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

Otherwise, you might as well try here:

Psychic Friends Network
(800) 592-7827

Suggest you also learn about the proper nuances of written English. Your
post is almost devoid of punctuation and it makes it extremely hard to read.

Why the hell do you think anyone here will know?! WTF does "cannot get it
started" mean? We're not clairvoyant, we cannot see your computer. May I
suggest you ask whoever you "borrowed" it from?

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:29:26 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<test@test.com> wrote:

>Malcolm wrote:
>> I have borrowed a cd its a training cd for an exam I am studying and
>> cannot open it I have got as far as installing it and it shows up on
>> my desktop but I cannot get it started.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest any ideas how I start it.
>>
>> Malcolm Cook
>
>How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>How to Act Smart on Usenet
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
>
>How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups
>http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
>
>Otherwise, you might as well try here:
>
>Psychic Friends Network
>(800) 592-7827
>
>Suggest you also learn about the proper nuances of written English. Your
>post is almost devoid of punctuation and it makes it extremely hard to read.
>
>Why the hell do you think anyone here will know?! WTF does "cannot get it
>started" mean? We're not clairvoyant, we cannot see your computer. May I
>suggest you ask whoever you "borrowed" it from?

Someone got up on the incorrect side of the bed this morning. Chill.
His english is probably alot better than your Dutch.

Jim Macklin wrote:
> contact the publisher of the CD and the book to see what is
> required to run your CD, often such CDs must be run from the
> CD drive and not the hard drive. It may require a password.
> Look at the contents of the CD for a readme file.
>
> Is this an English grammar exam or a what?

I would sincerely hope not! Grammar is the least of his worries; he needs to
sort out his spelling, syntax and punctuation first!

Bart

Here all the time I thought syntax was something you paid after getting
caught breaking one of the "big 10" or worse yet, getting caught on Lovers
Lane.

Bart

In news:I3Awe.144$DN.142@fe01.ams,
Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> typed:

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> contact the publisher of the CD and the book to see what is
>> required to run your CD, often such CDs must be run from the
>> CD drive and not the hard drive. It may require a password.
>> Look at the contents of the CD for a readme file.
>>
>> Is this an English grammar exam or a what?
>
> I would sincerely hope not! Grammar is the least of his
> worries; he
> needs to sort out his spelling, syntax and punctuation first!

He has a problem with syntax, but not with grammar?

That's not possible. Syntax is one of the components of grammar.
Look it up.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Gollum wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:29:26 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <test@test.com> wrote:
>
>> Malcolm wrote:
>>> I have borrowed a cd its a training cd for an exam I am studying and
>>> cannot open it I have got as far as installing it and it shows up on
>>> my desktop but I cannot get it started.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest any ideas how I start it.
>>>
>>> Malcolm Cook
>>
>> How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> How to Act Smart on Usenet
>>
>> Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
>>
>> How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups
>> http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
>>
>> Otherwise, you might as well try here:
>>
>> Psychic Friends Network
>> (800) 592-7827
>>
>> Suggest you also learn about the proper nuances of written English.
>> Your post is almost devoid of punctuation and it makes it extremely
>> hard to read.
>>
>> Why the hell do you think anyone here will know?! WTF does "cannot
>> get it started" mean? We're not clairvoyant, we cannot see your
>> computer. May I suggest you ask whoever you "borrowed" it from?
>>

> Someone got up on the incorrect side of the bed this morning. Chill.
> His english is probably alot better than your Dutch.

How many more times do I have to say it "a lot " is *TWO WORDS*!! And how do
you know he's Dutch? With a name like "Malcolm Cook" it's highly unlikely.

I used to speak quite fluent Dutch, as it happens. Forgotten most of it now,
though. I was taught by the daughter of family friends who, ironically, is
now over here teaching English to primary school kids.

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:I3Awe.144$DN.142@fe01.ams,
> Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> typed:
>
>> Jim Macklin wrote:
>>> contact the publisher of the CD and the book to see what is
>>> required to run your CD, often such CDs must be run from the
>>> CD drive and not the hard drive. It may require a password.
>>> Look at the contents of the CD for a readme file.
>>>
>>> Is this an English grammar exam or a what?
>>
>> I would sincerely hope not! Grammar is the least of his
>> worries; he
>> needs to sort out his spelling, syntax and punctuation first!
>

> He has a problem with syntax, but not with grammar?
>
> That's not possible. Syntax is one of the components of grammar.
> Look it up.

I did: -

syntax noun (syntaxes) 1 a the positioning of words in a sentence and their
relationship to each other.

So there...

In news:TcPwe.214$DN.88@fe01.ams,
Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> typed:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:I3Awe.144$DN.142@fe01.ams,
>> Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> typed:

>>> I would sincerely hope not! Grammar is the least of his
>>> worries; he
>>> needs to sort out his spelling, syntax and punctuation first!
>>

>> He has a problem with syntax, but not with grammar?
>>
>> That's not possible. Syntax is one of the components of
>> grammar.
>> Look it up.
>
> I did: -
>
> syntax noun (syntaxes) 1 a the positioning of words in a
> sentence and
> their relationship to each other.
>
> So there...

That's correct. It's the aspect of grammar which is concerned
with word order. The OED says

"Syntax 2. *Gram* a. The arrangement of words (in their
appropriate forms) by which their connexion and relation in a
sentence are shown. ... b. The department of grammar which deals
with the established usage of grammatical construction and the
rules deduced therefrom; distinguished from *accidence* which
deals with the inflexional forms of words as such."

Please reply to the newsgroup

johnf

"I used to speak quite fluent Dutch, as it happens. Forgotten most of it
now, though"

What a convenient cop-out! Once you learn another language, you become
rusty, but never forget it.

--

johnf

> Gollum wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:29:26 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
>> <test@test.com> wrote:

>>> How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>
>>> How to Act Smart on Usenet
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
>>>
>>> How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups
>>> http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
>>>
>>> Otherwise, you might as well try here:
>>>
>>> Psychic Friends Network
>>> (800) 592-7827
>>>
>>> Suggest you also learn about the proper nuances of written English.
>>> Your post is almost devoid of punctuation and it makes it extremely
>>> hard to read.
>>>
>>> Why the hell do you think anyone here will know?! WTF does "cannot
>>> get it started" mean? We're not clairvoyant, we cannot see your
>>> computer. May I suggest you ask whoever you "borrowed" it from?
>>>

>> Someone got up on the incorrect side of the bed this morning. Chill.
>> His english is probably alot better than your Dutch.
>
> How many more times do I have to say it "a lot " is *TWO WORDS*!! And
> how do you know he's Dutch? With a name like "Malcolm Cook" it's highly
> unlikely.
> I used to speak quite fluent Dutch, as it happens. Forgotten most of it
> now, though. I was taught by the daughter of family friends who,
> ironically, is now over here teaching English to primary school kids.

johnf

johnf

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:I3Awe.144$DN.142@fe01.ams,
>> Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> typed:

>>> I would sincerely hope not! Grammar is the least of his
>>> worries; he
>>> needs to sort out his spelling, syntax and punctuation first!
>>

>> He has a problem with syntax, but not with grammar?
>>
>> That's not possible. Syntax is one of the components of grammar.
>> Look it up.
>
> I did: -
>
> syntax noun (syntaxes) 1 a the positioning of words in a sentence and
> their relationship to each other.
>
> So there...

"syntax noun (syntaxes) 1 a the positioning of words in a sentence and their
relationship to each other"?
Try reconstructing that sentence (what's the '1' doing there, or is it just
a bit more of your cut/paste stuff-ups?)

Byte

I believe that Malcolm by now is wondering whether this is a Forum or
a "lynch party". lol
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.