Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about my Q6600 build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 20, 2007 3:20:14 AM

I am building Q6600 rig, but I think I want to hold out for the GO stepping. All the other components in my build will be arriving within the week, and I need to have this desktop built for grad school which I will be starting on August 20. Given that it is the 775 chipset, I am contemplating sticking my old P4 in the rig till GO availability goes up. Can any one see any incompatibilities with the specs below? How bad will this handicap the system?

New system:
Q6600 (contemplating waiting for GO)
Cooler Master Centurion 5
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R
Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb 1066 mhz
eVga 8800 GTX
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320gb
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W
Arctic Freezer 7 (won't use for the p4)

More about : question q6600 build

July 20, 2007 3:54:27 PM

Yeah, the P4 will be a handicap. If you try playing Supreme Commander on the P4 it will definitely not be the same experience as on a Q6600. But since it's a temporary solution, who cares?

I assume you're waiting for the new stepping because you want to overclock a lot, right? If not, then don't wait, the current stepping will do fine. If yes, then get a better cooler, for example a Thermalright Ultra 120.
Related resources
July 20, 2007 4:09:44 PM

To be honest, I'm a newb to OCing. I'm up for the challenge, but at the same time I probably won't try anything crazy. However, I am researching OCing and I'm thinking the GO stepping would be beneficial for the future if I really did need to push the chip hard (I hope to keep the it for about 3-4 years). I am aware the Thermalright is the much better solution; however I have just bought all these part including the Freezer 7, so at the moment I don't have the spare cash. In any event, I feel that I would benefit from the cooler temps of the GO given that the hs is not the Thermalright and my case is no antec nine hundred. I'm on the fence about this one. I probably may never fully use the GO to its full potential and am getting impatient. But the benefits of waiting a few more weeks seem fairly substantial.
July 20, 2007 4:30:32 PM

Fair enough. Besides, you might get a better price for the Q6600 if you wait a few weeks until the demand drops to sane levels. I expect lots of people to want one right after the price cut and that will push prices up a bit. OK, maybe not, it depends on whether Intel has a million of them already prepared for the occasion or not.
July 20, 2007 4:57:23 PM

I am also in the same dilemma here. Anyhow, when is the better time to get a G0 stepping of a q6600? ...as I do not know truly when those will come out. Any ideas guys?
July 20, 2007 5:12:35 PM

No, sorry. Even if I could tell you that they come out today at 4:26 p.m., that's still useless. The retailer that sells it to you may still give you an older version if they have it in stock and want to get rid of it. All you can do is wait a while until the inventory is flushed out and then you'll have a much better probability of getting a good one. I may be wrong, maybe some e-tailers advertise steppings. Newegg doesn't, I've just looked.

Edit: if you wait until December you're 99% sure to get a G0, IMO. But that's silly. Besides, you'd be able to get a 45 nm Penryn at the time. Depends how much you really care, it may be worth waiting a week or two but not months.
July 20, 2007 8:43:03 PM

aevm said:
No, sorry. Even if I could tell you that they come out today at 4:26 p.m., that's still useless. The retailer that sells it to you may still give you an older version if they have it in stock and want to get rid of it. All you can do is wait a while until the inventory is flushed out and then you'll have a much better probability of getting a good one. I may be wrong, maybe some e-tailers advertise steppings. Newegg doesn't, I've just looked.

Edit: if you wait until December you're 99% sure to get a G0, IMO. But that's silly. Besides, you'd be able to get a 45 nm Penryn at the time. Depends how much you really care, it may be worth waiting a week or two but not months.


Oh boy! I will wait it out then. Man, this waiting game sure is tiring!
!