PSU help needed for this nub

bobthecoolman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Okay, on my quest of discovering the magical world of computer (I can't hide in console's world forever) I am slowly learning the ropes. I found a nice [IMO] graphics opinion for a good price. Now I'm concerned about the PSU. I have visted multiple FAQ's but it feels like I need a "For Dummies..." book :(

Sooo, I have a few (and very very n00bish questions) that may need explaining other than reference links (though those are appreciated).

#1: If I am NOT building my computer (which I'm sure a lot of ppl here do), because I am buying one...say from Dell, how do I determine the PSU? I have looked on their site and they do not list any information about the PSU. [Hence the FAQ's saying the PSU is the most overlooked component of the computer]. Is there any way to find this information out? Or in simpler words, Is there a median/average PSU type that modern computers use?

#2: I'm asking the former because I am eager to purchase a X1950 Pro ICEQ3 and I'm not sure if I need to go out and purchase a different PSU to handle it. [Which obviously raises the question of what is my current PSU and that lands me back at #1] The only thing I know is it requires/runs 66 watts (5.5 amps) and I recall reading that PSU's (if they don't already) require Single +12V Rails (I somewhat understand that :whistle: )

If anyone could answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

bobthecoolman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Oops- I forgot to also ask: is there any other component that is required to run such a graphics card? [I'm getting a Core 2 Duo, Vista, 2 gig RAM, 500 HD (I feel smart writing the latter parts :D)] anything else?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
jonnyguru.com. Jonny's website also has forums. anandtech.com recently started doing psu reviews as well, but Jonny's been at it for quite a while.

If you buy a Dell you will most likely get a 4th tier 300W PSU (as in, 4th quality, too small to allow any serious upgrades). If you post the model number or Google it you can probably find out the PSU type, but it won't be pretty :cry:

An average PSU type - I'm guessing that people on this forum have 750W as the average, while people who buy Dells have 300W. It's meaningless, the PSU you need depends on your video card and CPU (and, less, on the number of disks and other devices).

I strongly doubt you can put an X1950Pro in a Dell unless you replace the PSU. They usually allow 30W or so margin, and since the PSU is low quality you lose even that margin in time.

Why don't we start over and you tell us this:

- your budget
- screen resolution
- favourite games
- do you care about AA/AF/HDR and all the other things meaning eye candy?

It's actually a pretty good time to get a new PC, what with Intel cutting its prices a lot next week. There's got to be a shop in your area that builds custom PCs, and we can give you some hints on what to ask for. It will cost a bit more than a Dell but all the pieces will be higher quality.

bobthecoolman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
@aevm

Thank you for your help-the first part also helps.
I wasn't going to write my full intentions but if you want to, I'll take advice.

I was planning on buying a cheap PC that has a Core 2 Duo, Vista, and all the "basics" that I can have so I can cut it cheap. (I was originally going for a laptop, but I went crazy and its cost was $1,940 for those new Inspiron 1520's)\
So I planned on buying cheap in every category [without crap] but a little more in graphics. So my costs = poor [Ppl tihnk 250-300 is a good price for a card; I think its crazy]; later on, i was planning on upgrading my PC and then buying a cheap, small laptop [college]. Right now, I'm settling for a cheap $900-$1,000.

So speaking of poor, I have always had the crappiest quality, crappiest settings, and you know what? I'm content with it. As long as I can play whatever games [more on that] I'm fine. So resolution will probably be 1024X[the other, i forgot...]; methinks I'm getting either a 17"-19" screen (upgrade free).

For favorite games...well, seeing I've never really had good graphics, I'm not use to playing too many PC games. So now, I'm planning on trying the heavy hitters such as Oblivion, GRAW, and the upcoming Crysis and Bioshock [I'm well aware my graphics won't be the top of the line either]

So that means I don't need eye candy since I never needed it [wait...what? :pt1cable: ]
After mucho mucho research, I am planning on buying the X1950 Pro Ic3 [and now on a PSU]. Since an average Dell won't run it, I'm now looking for a PSU that will run it. [A friend says I should look into the specs of my PC for the watts then upgrade to a better PSU...but i've read its not all about watts.]

I dunno. Maybe all I need now is what is X1950 256 wattage requirements. I'm a horrible google seacher, so at least answering this might help - and learning to write less :sol:

bobthecoolman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
oops, I'm stupid; at ATI's site 450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended (assumes fully loaded system); For CrossFire™: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail;
I probably won't CrossFire...soooo I just need a 450 watt one?