Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Basicly i have a new system.

nForce 680i Mobo from evga
msi nvidia 8800gtx
2gb kingston hyper X
74gb wd raptor HD
E6700 Processor

The issue is that when i run counter-strike:source after 10 min my computer freezes and and make a looping sound of my last heard sound and i see a frame rip/glitch which leads me to believe it has to do with the video card. it only happens when i am in game. i have no idea what the deal is i reformatted twice, i have loaded drivers from the CD, Online, Both and individualy. Any Idea?

G

I have, in the past experienced a similar issue. For me, it was my sound card. Got an Audigy or any codec packs installed, like K-lite or Matroska or something? Also have you updated all your sound drivers as well as your video?

Qadir

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
im pretty sure i updated everything, it basicly with in 30 min of a game especily source on high and low settings both i keep 100-280 frames and yet my comp freezes. i have no idea why.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I've had that problem with Valve games in one degree or another it's partly there software and sound drives. I've had it with 7800's and 8800's I'm now at the point where it happens only when I first load a game for about 5 seconds and then stops and it doesn't crash like it did before.

Qadir

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
dont know how to update mobo firmware. i did update everything,

Question: I have 2 CPU Cables able to attach to the motherboard next to my processor, CPU 0 and CPU 1, both 4 pin connectors each, should i hook both or just 1 up? any ideas?

is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

There are a few newer power supplies out that have a total of 8 pins for the CPU power socket, If you mobo & PSU have them then by all means use them. My mainboard has a 8 pin socket but my PSU has only a 4 pin socket and works great. It didn't even affect my overclock at all, in my sig.

Qadir

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
alright atleast now i know i can use both 4 pin cpu sockets. now i just need help on why my video card crashes.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Tell me what happens when your card crashes, do you crash to desktop, any error messages on screen or does the screen turn blue? Try and give me an step by step of what happens, Example: like PC reboots over and over. Also did you update you bios on your mobo yet?

G

Had a similar thing happen on my g/f's PC when she tried to play WoW, turned out it was the new RAM I put in. Have you done a memory test?

Qadir

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i did do a memory test, its also compatible to my board, haven't oc'd anything yet.

basically when it crashes it stops in the middle of what i was doing and make a looping sound of the last sound i heard. it has some glich marks on the screen and sometimes goes to a black screen kind of like the command prompt with the underscore ready to type something (i.e _ ) yet you cant type anything in.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Do this, boot into safe mode and try playing a game, it might look like crap but might tell us if its driver related. Have you updated your firmware for your 680i chipset yet? If not go to Nvidia's website (same place where you got your video card drivers) select firmware for 680i download and run it, it does everthing for you at that point. One of the first thing I did before OS install is update my BIOS to the latest version. Once we eliminate the drivers as the cause then we know its a hardware problem, then we can isolate the hardware thats causing the problem. Let me know how it go's.

Qadir

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
alright ill try it, i just found out.. when i crash my screen like i said has pixel breaks like a checkerboard then it goes black like i explained ealier but i can hear people in ventrilo speaking and i can talk back, i can also shut my computer off from the front of my computer and it will make that (closing windows theme song sound) is this issue leaning towards video card or ram?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Also if you have OC'ed make sure your PCI-E is set at 100MHz or lower. I think you might be right about it being the ram or GFX card.