help! painfully slow!!!! and i can't decide

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I've never used the forum before so bear with me if i make a heinous mistake but I really need to know the answer to this question:
recently I bought an 8600 gts (without reading any reviews) and it seems to be struggling already without even getting into directx 10 and so im wondering.... I may be getting another couple of hundred quid before long and so I must ask Should I upgrade to an 8800 gts/gtx (gts more likely amount of money)

I am currently running 2gb ram and a socket 939 amd x2 4200 on a fairly old motherboard

I would suggest getting the cheapest 8800 GTS (640 or 320) possible if the 8600 is too slow. You should see a huge increase since you have a pretty good system otherwise. I would suggest first, though, making sure you have the newest drivers, cleaning up the comp (physically and software wise) and maybe even reinstalling windows. If it still is too slow, 8800 it is. Check the GPU charts on this site to see what type of improvement to expect.

This all depends on a few things. What games do you run? Are you happy with how your current card performs, and lastly, buying now might not be the best thing to do. The reasoning is, the next generation DX10 cards will be coming out by the end of the year, they are said to be much more DX10 compliant and will give a better experience on DX10 and presumably DX9 as well. That being said, if your current card plays current games within respectable framerates, eyecandy (AA,AF etc) then my advice to you would be to wait til next gen, if not, then maybe even waiting a lil bit longer to see what the upper mid-lower high releases might bring, whenever these cards are to be released, no one knows. Otherwise, depending on your resolution, the GTS is a fine card. The 320 will handle anything up to 16x10 over that and youll want the 640mb

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I should have said I want to play crysis and not on any res higher than 1280x1024 and so yes I do want directx10 and in my opinion the 8600 isn't playing with acceptable eye candy on current games so crysis will butcher it i think.. although i could wait but i wanna play....

OK, Id wait til the game comes out. Then make your decision. That way, youre protecting your future investment. To say that the GTS will run crisis at high levels at this point is reaching, as no one knows until the games released

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
well if we just take a look at the current "patched" dx10 games, the 8600 is pretty darn useless. I would suggest you just wait it out till the game is released before buying a new card, cause at this point we cant tell if even the GTX will play it at a good framerate (though im sure it will be optimised for sorts of systems)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
ok I suppose I might as well wait then but how long will the next load of gfx cards be after crysis (i keep hearing rumours of 8900's and stuff like that)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I am now going to go and wish, hope, pray and dream that the 8900's power consumption won't go up along with the power because i only have a 550 watt power supply (im also going to hope they are cheapish or that i have more money or that they push the price of 8800s down)

Ouch, you should have posted here before spending money on the 8600. The mid-range DX10 cards I feel are all just marketing hype to get people who can't afford a highend card like an 8800 or 2900 card to spend money and get a spankin' new DX10 card! Total B.S.
As gaming cards, they just don't do it. There are far better choices.
The 1900's, 1950's, 7600's, 7900's, etc are better choices.

Firstly, there is no reason now, or in the next 4-6 months to buy any DX10 card just because it is a DX10 card. You simply don't need DX10 hardware yet. If you think you are future proofing for DX10, when DX10 does become mainstream, you are going to very disappointed.

It is doubtful that the high end DX10 cards like the 8800 and 2900 will actually perform that well running DX10 games when DX10 does become mainstream. The top of the line cards like the 8800 and 2900 may kickass in DX9, but the technology still has a ways to go before it is truely ready for DX10.

goldenboy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
hey.iv just finished testing an 8600.it is a peice of crap.im sorry you wasted your money friend,see if you can exchange it.arrgh it makes me sad that nvidia have flooded us with such absolute shiiiiite.

for the same price you could get a really awsome dx9card ie 1900 or 7900gt.otherwise,what the guy above me said...

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Not only nvidia man, also Ati's midrange is a complete disappointment.