wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
hello i have a question, my pc is currently located in my basement, and the signal from my linksys and gigabyte wireless adapter STINKS, so im looking into improving the connection (im looking into a repeater/ranger extender) and i my question is that is an acces point the same as a router? they seem very similar but im not sure.

if anyone can help me with this question and/or help me improve my connection that would be great, thanks :)

G

An access point is a simpler wireless device that is primarily designed to hook up to a non-wireless router via ethernet.

A repeater/range extender may allow you to extend wireless coverage without an ethernet connection.

Another solution is to link up a second wireless router (usually via ethernet unless the devices support WDS) Used routers are common and cheap secondhand -- though you have to change certain settings before one will work as a simple access point (Netgear site has useful tips).

Probably the best solution is to dump wireless and look at homeplug type solution (mains borne network adapters).

G

Homeplug -- note, I don't use it, but there are lots of enthusiatstic recommendations -- uses the mains power ring in your house to communicate. It sounds scary -- but apparently it just works, is simple to set up and fast.

G

Have a look at the Netgear site. Their homeplug adapters aren't cheap and you need one at each end but there are other brands.