Hyperthreading compatibility between cpu and motherboard ?

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
I am looking into building a computer for gaming and I have been thinking of the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 Ghz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 for a cpu. But being very much a newcomer to building computers I have a question about hyperthreading. On Newegg.com they are offering a discount on a certain motherboard if you buy it and this E6600 processor together but I saw that this motherboard has hyperthreading support while the E6600 Cpu does not. My question is: how important is hyperthreading regarding a motherboard and a cpu ? I am supposing that if one has hyperthreading supported and the other doesn't that they are still compatible because Newegg.com is offering this discount on the cpu/motherboard combo; is this true ? Or is it better if they are both either supported, or not supported ? Thank you for any info you can offer :wahoo:

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Hyperthreading was some **** attempt to make the Pentium IV less shitty. (which obviously was futile) More than performance increase (although there was some), it gave the Pentium 4 even better marketing because it had "Hyperthreading" (Wow...), so average joe could buy their new, more powerful "Hyperthreading" P4 Dells at a higher price.

Core 2 Duos don't support that crap simply because they are true Dual core CPUs, not a single core with a new marketing scheme. Motherboards still advertising that they support Hyperthreading usually indicates that it is a REALLY old board, not worth purchasing.

If you're going to buy a Core 2 Duo don't buy the E6600, buy the new G0 Stepping CPUs coming out on sunday, they will be retailing for less and will be faster (and supposedly overclocking even better than current C2Ds). I'd say ditch those combo deals (which usually aren't even too good) and get a GA-P35-DS3R and a E6750 after sunday.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
When shopping for a motherboard/cpu, all you have to do is make sure the motherboard supports your CPU. These days it'll usually say "Core 2 Duo"/"Core 2 Quad"/P4, etc. Since the E6600 is in the Core 2 Duo family, you're good. Hyperthreading is a moot point since you have a C2D chip. Don't worry about it, just look for the compatibility of your CPU family.

Note: sometimes brand new released CPUs may not be supported by the motherboard's BIOS. Since the E6600 was released a while back, every motherboard should have support for that chip - if it doesn't don't buy the motherboard - it's a very old one.