tarast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Could someone tell me what the agp voltage requirement for the ATI 9600 is? I just replaced my motherboard, and my video card does not work anymore. I am afraid that this is the problem.

Thank you

Dirty_Harry2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
There is rarely a voltage problem with any MOBO and AGP card, what psu do you have, although it should be enough. I ran my old 9600 XT All in Wonder on a 250 watt PSU. :)

The 9600 might just be bad.

tarast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
The 9600 isnt bad, cause I put my old moboard in, and thats what I am running right now.

My understanding is that there are two different voltages for AGP. 3.3 and 1.6. Is this correct?

If its not the card, could the AGP slot in the moboard be bad?

4745454b

Titan
The voltages that you are referring to are called "signaling voltages." This is the voltage signal that the motherboard and video card send to each other so that they know they are compatible. They are 3.3V (original AGP/2x), 1.5V (4x) and .8 (8x). You shouldn't have to worry about the signaling voltage, because if the card fits in the slot, then it will work on that motherboard. Each AGP slot is notched in a different way so that you can't fit an 8x card into a 2x slot.

The AGP slot on the "new" motherboard could be bad, or you might be having an issue setting up the new board. The new motherboard might even have a good AGP slot, but a bad memory slot or a broken CPU socket. Try getting it to run with an old PCI card. If that fails, then return the new motherboard.

tarast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Perfect! That was exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I am pretty sure the 9600 is at least a 4x, so I should be ok there.

I have a spare PCI card that I will try.

Thank you so much for your answers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9600 series is keyed for 1.5V and works with both 1.5V and 0.8V signal voltages. It doesn't work with extremely old 3.3V boards, but it won't even fit those anyway because the key is different.