GPU fan doesn't seem to be working. Help??

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I have an x1900 xt 512 mb, and I think my gpu fan is either dead or not working, is there a way I can know this for sure? Like run a test or something. I can't hear it kick into high gear when I play Oblivion or F.E.A.R., which I would think is wrong. But when the pc starts up, the fan starts with it and then slows down when entering the desktop. After that, I really don't hear it.

I was fiddling with wire configurations in my case, to get the best possible airflow, and I heard a clicking sound. I thought it might have been static electricity. When I heard the sound, I touched my video card. If I staticed it, could that have malfunctioned the fan? I hope I didn't.... I think that might be the reason why it's not working like it should. What should I do? I've had the card for a year now, and I have the latest drivers.

Here's my system, just in case:GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX,Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, ATI Radeon x1900XT 512,3 Gb DDR2 400mhz,250 Gb HDD.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Your fan just behaves as it should. Max power when starting up for a moment and upregulating when your GPU has to do serious work. Get a zalman if you don't like the noise...