Need some advice on a good/bang for your buck PSU

wojo2024

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Hey, since I got this computer in 04, I've had a lot of overheating issues, where my computer tries to run any game that requires graphics, and now, it'll be able to handle it for 10 seconds before my computer reboots...so I'm gutting it for the most part, and I just need some advice on my PSU if need be, right now my family friend supplied me with a 680W literally no name brand PSU, I can talk to him on monday after I place my parts order after prices for intel's drop. Obviously I'll talk to him about this as well, since he knows his craft as well if not better than some of you here, but just so I can go and search for some PSUs tonight :)...Here is what my comp will consist of.

Processor - Intel E6600
Mobo- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Ram - 2gb Kingston (always loved kingston, and is recommended for this mobo)
GFX card - 7900GS (I'm currently on a tight budget :p)

Now, with the overheating problems I've had with this computer, I most likely just for safety because Im thinking of moderately overclocking to 3.0 ghz, so I'm going to either get an Arctic http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
or the BFT90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887002&Tpk=BTF90

My question is obviously, what is a good sturdy, affordable PSU that is a good purchase that can hold this up easy, and also, should I look to replace all the fans in my computer, they are just stock fans from 2003.

Thank you all...

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The least expensive quality unit I would use is this:
FSP AX500-PN 500watt 12v:2x18 PSU 20+4pin $65+0 7/19/07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104037
Otherw ise, look at lower-end Seasonic units in the $100+ range.

If your fans are not noisy, take them out and clean them.
Use a free software utility called speedfan to control fan speeds for those plugged into the motherboard.
Buy either a controller or individual resistor leads to reduce fan speeds for those not motherboard powered.

Have your friend look at case airflow for obvious problems such as backward fans, blocked flow, dust, etc.
Your new system should not run hot with even just marginal airflow.
Remember, heat rises. Bring in air from low in the front, and exhaust it out high and in the rear.

If you have an overheating problem with graphics, then the first job is to get rid of the vga heat. You can buy an arctic cooler NV silencer 5 rev 3 for about $20. It does not officially support 7900 cards because it is a bit long. You would need to cut off an inch or so of the plastic exhaust duct.
I have used this before with a 6600gt , with very good results. By exhausting the VGA heat directly out the back instead of recirculating it, both the VGA and CPU temperatures are reduced.
---good luck---

wojo2024

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks geo, I'll definitely relay this info to my computer guy who'll build all this for me :p..yeah it seems I'm probably going to have to spend atleast 90$ for a PSU, how much Wattage will be needed to handle that...500? 550?

There are lists around of recomended quality power supplies. A good reference to quiet power supplies is at: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html Quality counts. Better units deliver closer to advertised capability, are stable at all temperatures, are more efficient, are quieter, and last longer. Good names are seasonic, corsair, PC P&C and fotron(FSP) is a good budget unit. The wattage is not as important as the amperage total of the 12v rails. I suspect you need 30 amps or more, but use a PSU calculator to be certain. I suspect that the Rosewell units are not so good. Look at the FSP blue storm II 500. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104034 I have the 400watt unit in a backup pc, and it seems like a quality unit that has been running well.

wojo2024

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
I think I'm going for the beast from the east, the corsair 620W..129.99 on zipzoomfly.com right now, might as well pay up for one of the best PSU performers :)

wojo2024

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
yeah, I've been following it for a bit on jonnyguru and other PSU reviewer sites..it's just a workhorse...

I was just apprehensive with spending more than 100$...but now that I realize that this is very much the backbone of the computer...I see it as money well spent.

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
To find the available 12v rail amperage simply find the available watts for the 12v rail(s) divide that number by 12. ie. 360w/12v=30a This is the approximate amperage available assuming the manufacturer has been truthfull.

@MrsBytch, I bought one of those. Its sleeve fan died quickly, as did a replacement fan I put in. Never again. And, he said he wanted best bang for the buck, then realized he needed to be sure of the quality. I don't think he wasted his money, and he seems to have made the choice after reading posts here; so it wasn't a waste of [our] time.

Kordoyn

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I won't touch anything that isn't Seasonic or PCpower as far as PSUs are concerned. Save money elsewhere, the PSU is not the place to go cheap.