Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I just bought a SH-S183L for my computer. I'm starting to wish I'd kept my old one. My main concern is that the tray and discs feel very warm to the touch after simply loading and going through the copy protection. I've never felt a warm disc like that except maybe after burning a new one. Anyone else have this problem with this drive or another drive? If it's normal for new drives, then I won't worry about it. But the discs almost feels warm enough to start melting the plastic on the slipcover.

Also, my E6750 runs at a nice 31 degrees C with the stock heatsink, but my system is 59-61 degrees according to the BIOS. Besides my DVD tray, which isn't even warm if it's not spinning, the only heat producer I really have is my 8800GTS. According to the NVIDIA control panel, it runs at 70-71 degrees celsius. I put my hand in the case, but it doesn't feel warm at all, except at the base of my case, especially towards the vent in the back of the card. Is this normal? I'm used to my system being about the same temperature as my CPU. I have two case fans running in my Coolermaster Centurion 5 case. One at the front of the case blowing air inside and one at the back blowing air out. All of my fans seem to be turning correctly. At first, I had my fans plugged into the PSU, but I plugged them into the motherboard when I wasn't getting any fan readings in the BIOS, although they were spinning either way and I get the same temperature either way. Although, the BIOS still doesn't seem to report that my "System" fan is spinning even though it is, and I only have two places to plug in case fans on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R), so I know they're plugged into the right spots. Should I be worried about this?

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I first question would be what case do you have and then how many fans do you have? This way we will be able to determine if this is a problem with air circulation in your case. Cause my 8800GTS sits at a nice 45C idle and 55C under load. But I have also replaced the thermal grease for AS5 to increase the amount of heat removed from the video card by the heatsink. I have also done this to the NB on my motherboard, and it dropped the NB temp by 10C! Just be careful doing it cause you don't want to damage your mobo.

-ouch1

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I mentioned it already in the above post. My case is a Coolermaster Centurion 5 w/ two fans. One at the bottom front blowing air in and one at the top back blowing air out.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Sorry I must have had a brain fart and totally missed that. The only thing I can think of is to clean up your wiring so it is not blocking any air flow if you have not already done so. And while you are at it blow out any dust from inside the case and make sure the fans are all working.

-ouch1

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Idont know about the optical drives but I wouldnt think that they should run that hot, but mine get hot after burning also.

As for your your system temp of 60C. I looked at your board, not being familiar with it, and aside from the different chipset it looks pretty much like the same layout as my GA-965P-DS3. I can see my system temp but even at stock, both the NB and SB are hotter then hell. At stock I cant hold my finger on the NB for more then 5 seconds without it getting very painful. The SB is not that hot but definately toasty. Get a 12cm fan over your NB and SB and monitor your system temps.

I replaced my window 80mm fan with a 120mm and now both the NB and SB stay barely warm.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
little_scrapper, do you have the same case as me? i was thinking about getting a 120mm fan but wasn't sure if it would fit or not... i had the Silverstone RLFM121 in mind, although I really don't know anything about cooling and fans. I never had to worry about it until now. Do you use a fan in the side air duct?