Sign in with
Your question

Ghost recon ADV war 1 @ full spec

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2007 9:32:21 AM

Just got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (the first one) all patched and up to date - but bloody hell I can't get it to run at full detail----- details of my system below - really what else do I need?????
July 21, 2007 11:45:11 AM

Your not going to like this but here it is. To run full detail (Texture Quality High) you have to have a graphics card with at least 512MB on board Vram. Even Doom 3 requires 512MB to run Ultra High Quality. I've been playing GRAW 1 for a year now and my 256MB card can only do Medium texture quality. I play GRAW 10 hours a day and know of a way to force high texture quality, but you could damage your graphics card. Don't under estimate the importance of Vram, your graphics card has to store those high quality texture's somewhere during game play. Your going to find out that most of the newer games (Crysis) are going to need more than 320MB card. I don't even know why Nvidia came out with a 320MB card.
July 21, 2007 4:39:28 PM

But I only have a 17" monitor?????????
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 22, 2007 2:49:30 AM

theuprightman24 said:
But I only have a 17" monitor?????????

It makes no difference what size monitor you have, you could get a 15 inch monitor and still not be able to run high quality textures. I don't know who told you that having a 17" monitor allows you to run high textures. "To run in "High Texture Quality" mode you have to have a 512MB card." High Texture Quality = 512MB thats the way Ubisoft coded the game and prevent users from selecting high quality that don't have a 512 card. I know it sucks.
July 23, 2007 12:40:18 AM

although if you have a bigger monitor and try to use high quality textures AND higher resolution you will make things worse, hey fell lucky I don't reckon my gfx card could run it on the gfx settings you have it on (CURSE YOU AND YOUR MID RANGE CRAP NVIDIA)
July 23, 2007 1:01:46 AM

systemlord said:
Your not going to like this but here it is. To run full detail (Texture Quality High) you have to have a graphics card with at least 512MB on board Vram. Even Doom 3 requires 512MB to run Ultra High Quality. I've been playing GRAW 1 for a year now and my 256MB card can only do Medium texture quality. I play GRAW 10 hours a day and know of a way to force high texture quality, but you could damage your graphics card. Don't under estimate the importance of Vram, your graphics card has to store those high quality texture's somewhere during game play. Your going to find out that most of the newer games (Crysis) are going to need more than 320MB card. I don't even know why Nvidia came out with a 320MB card.
Actually, Doom3 recommends a 512MB card for Ultra, but it runs fine on a 256MB card like a 7800GTX. Ghost Recon won't even let you select the high quality textures without 512MB of memory.
July 23, 2007 9:34:03 AM

In all the reviews of the 8800 320MB card I have seen I have never read about Vram and how it is sub-standard. All reviews recommend the 320MB card saying that in some respects its better than the 640MB version - where this might be true if you want to run '3D-Chess' would of been nice if someone put it on as a 'CON'!

Now does anyone want to or know someone who wants to buy a 8800 320MB card less than 2 months old?

****!
July 23, 2007 10:33:08 AM

theuprightman24 said:
In all the reviews of the 8800 320MB card I have seen I have never read about Vram and how it is sub-standard. All reviews recommend the 320MB card saying that in some respects its better than the 640MB version - where this might be true if you want to run '3D-Chess' would of been nice if someone put it on as a 'CON'!

Now does anyone want to or know someone who wants to buy a 8800 320MB card less than 2 months old?

****!

Some of the reviews on GFX cards seem onesided and I spot these quite often, where they leave questions unansered or fail to say anything. I really do feel for you and I hope you get this all sorted out. Maybe you could sell it on Ebay, it should sell quite fast. Good luck to you. :) 
!