New build, need help!!

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hey people, I'm looking at getting the following build now that Intel has released a new line of processors:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (oc'd to 1333FSB)
Noctua U12F CPU cooler
Gigabyte 965P DS3 mainboard
2GB Corsair DDR2-667MHz CL4 RAM
BFG 8800GTX OC1 (600MHz)
Floppy drive (yeah, they're old, but I'd need it to install SATA drives in AHCI mode)
Samsung SATA DVD-RW (heard bad things about NEC Optiarc)
Samsung SM206BW 20" 1680x1050 monitor (wanted the 204, but seems to be out of stock in the UK)
250GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD + 3 HDDs from current system
Logitech MX Revolution mouse
Enermax Aurora keyboard
NZXT HUSH case
600W Zalman PSU (already own)

Total cost is about £1250

I'd appreciate critique. Also, can somebody check if that PSU will handle this build? I'm worried that I don't have enough amps on the +12V rails (I think it's 40A on the Zalman). This build is for gaming. I considered getting the E6850 for its better overclocking potential, but figured the Q6600 is fast enough and will be utilised later on.

foxrocks

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I'd find money from somewhere less important to get a P35-DS3R, other than that I can't fault it. You *should* be ok with that Zalman but it's worth running your setup through one of those PSU checker thingies just to make sure.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Cheers foxrocks. Thing is, I can't find a PSU checker that gives amps. I don't really see the point in the P35 chipset for me. I don't need 1333FSB support with the Q6600, and I don't see the point in DDR3 support yet.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If it has 40A you should be good to go, however even though Zalman is known to make great cooling solutions, I haven't read the same for their PSU department (Actually the complete opposite), I would hesitate to use it to power a good system like that, especially with a GTX.

For the HSF, I'd go with a Tuniq Tower 120 just because I like it, but that's just a personal quirk.

About the mobo, I have to agree with the above, go for the GA-P35-DS3R. I also see that you have listed an OC'ed GPU, I see no reason to waste money on a factory OC'ed Graphics card, especially if you can do it yourself (I see that you're not scared to OC, so why pay more?)

If I were you I'd to try to get DDR2 800, I know in europe it's slightly more expensive, but If you look hard enough you'll find it for about the same price or a bit more.

I'd try to get either a Corsair 520/620HX or a Seasonic S12 550 for that build.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah, I was seriously considering the Corsair HX 620W, but it just means that I've got to save up a bit more money. What's so good about the P35-DS3R? I thought the main point of the P35 chipset was DDR3 and 1333FSB (both features I don't need). Also, I'm against 800MHz RAM just because I know the Q6600 won't do 1600FSB stable.

On the graphics front, I have no experience with graphics card overclocking. How easy it is, and what aftermarket cooler would you recommend?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Not really needed an aftermarket cooler unless you're planning to go on an insane OC (something factory OC is not), plus I haven't seen aftermarket Air cooling for the 8800/HD2900 cards yet only water cooling. And about how to OC, it's even EASIER than CPU OC'ing, you just have to go to the drivers and on the menu that says Change Clock frequencies and bump them up, seriously... It can't get any easier than that. (well it can get even easier if you use Atitool!) By the way, Atitool works for nvidia and ati cards in case you didn't know.

Atitool makes it so easy to OC, artifact scanning, and temp monitoring that it's unbelievable. I use Atitool right now only to monitor my GTS-320 temps (I have no need to OC it yet), but I did OC the hell out of a 6800. Some people will say to use Rivatuner, and it does have a lot more features than atitool, but atitool has such an easy interface (unlike rivatuner) that it's best to use it for starting users.

P35-DS3R is a newer chipset and just as good if not better OC'er than the 965P, plus you have support for upcoming CPUs assured, it's pretty much pointless to go for a P965 now.

If you can't get the 620HX, then get the 520HX or Seasonic S12 550W, both will power your system just fine and have a lot of power to spare.