Sign in with
Your question

8800 Drivers failing in Vista 64-bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2007 1:55:28 PM

So, just installed Vista 64-bit and apart from the mind-numbing security warning f4ckery in Vista, everthing seemed to be running fine... until now. Intermittently the screen flashes black and I recieve a "Display driver nvlddmkl.. has failed and recovered" message. I am using the latest forceware 160.22 and my cards in SLI are not overclocked. The only 3rd party software I'm using is RivaTuner to fix the fans at 100%.

Strange thing is, the only time the screen flashes is in Vista (e.g. on the desktop, IE, Alt+Tab); I can play games like Stalker and Supreme Commander for hours on end with no problems (which run great in 64-bit by the way). Anyone know if this is a driver issue or are my 8800s failing?

July 22, 2007 2:30:35 PM

yea, have you got the newest Nvidia driver for the card, if not you are using the ye old driver which everyone had problem with, also ahve you removed the old drivers they oftem conflict for some reason, i had problem with my Nvidia card in x64 vista until updated and removed.

Oh and does stalker and SC run in x64 mode, or in x86 on the x64 OS. I would love to try some real x64 bit programmes
July 22, 2007 3:02:44 PM

dobby said:
yea, have you got the newest Nvidia driver for the card, if not you are using the ye old driver which everyone had problem with, also ahve you removed the old drivers they oftem conflict for some reason, i had problem with my Nvidia card in x64 vista until updated and removed.

Oh and does stalker and SC run in x64 mode, or in x86 on the x64 OS. I would love to try some real x64 bit programmes

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my drivers were installed clean, buy I'll try again.

Stalker runs great on 64-bit on x86 mode (haven't tried in x64 mode). Just make sure to patch to 1.003.
Related resources
July 22, 2007 3:13:03 PM

harmattan said:
Anyone know if this is a driver issue or are my 8800s failing?

Though it could always be that one of your cards is failing, its probably the drivers and the fact that Nvidia does not yet do well on Vista. A way to check the cards is to try them one at a time on someone else's computer, or failing that, at least one at a time on yur computer. If they work individually, then its not the cards. You can try going to Nvidia's website and looking through the release notes for potential problems, and there are a bunch. One in particular is where they don't work well with AMD K7 and K8 chips and requires a change in the registry. Nvidia claims its because AMD has a problem. Strange, all my Nvidia card before worked fine with AMD chips up until the time AMD bought ATI. Conspiracy anyone?

As for running games, sometimes the game can have better drivers that take care of the problem. Other times, the game actually only uses one card, not the SLI, so the problem disappears. I have assorted troubles with my 8800 that seem to be the 8800 drivers. Let's say I've been disappinted that Nvidia still hasn't fixed the trouble after all this time.
July 22, 2007 4:49:49 PM

Mmm I think that your problem is your driver...I've been running 163.11 (beta) for a while now, and all of my previous problems have more or less disappeared. The download can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.11.html

BTW, by using these drivers my FPS in all of my games have risen...I highly encourage you to give them a shot. Oh, and even though they are primarily optimized for world in conflict, they are still the most stable version I have tried to date.
July 23, 2007 6:18:02 PM

super777 said:
Mmm I think that your problem is your driver...I've been running 163.11 (beta) for a while now, and all of my previous problems have more or less disappeared. The download can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.11.html

BTW, by using these drivers my FPS in all of my games have risen...I highly encourage you to give them a shot. Oh, and even though they are primarily optimized for world in conflict, they are still the most stable version I have tried to date.

Tried the 163.11, and although the "driver error" messages seem less frequent, they still occur periodically. Could be completely wrong, but the issue may be caused by Aero. The flashing seems to have started shortly after activating it in Control Panel. Games still running fine though...

I'm also going to try this hotfix: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1680 I know this is just to resolve performance issues in games, but who knows.

Also, a little off-topic, does anyone know how to disable the Unknown Program warnings? I like to have RivaTuner initialize at Startup to fixed my GPU fans and OC, but need to do it manually at present since Windows won't allow w/o confirmation first.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 24, 2009 8:54:14 PM

fekapower:

I have had the same problem with my 2 new overclocked 7800GTx graphics cards and it fails regulary they to are running on sli
but i can find no solution to the problem.
!