ASUS P5N32-E SLI - 4 Gigs or RAM problem

Tags:
  • New Build
  • RAM
  • Windows Vista
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2007 3:50:26 PM

The system would never install Vista with 4 gigs of ram present - so I removed 2 sticks and sucessfully installed Vista 64 - Then ran Bios tool to update to 1103 without a hitch - I installed all patches and Vista updates - then I inserted the additional 2 sticks of RAM (Model# OCZ2T8002GK - APPROVED RAM ON QVL list and says ALL 4 SLOTS WORK FINE) and attempted boot up to only have freezing and or crashing - If removed and only use 2 sticks this ram works perfectly - I tested the Blue slots and the white slots with the different pairs of ram and it all works fine UNLESS all 4 sticks are inserted into this motherboard.

I have no clue what voltage to set this RAM to as I was hoping Auto would work just fine. I've seen other people have this same problem with this board, but not really sure how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated including RAM settings etc...

Board:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI - 680i

RAM:

OCZ2T8002GK

Its something with the board as the Ram checks out fine.

More about : asus p5n32 sli gigs ram problem

July 21, 2007 4:09:26 PM

GenericName said:
The system would never install Vista with 4 gigs of ram present - so I removed 2 sticks and sucessfully installed Vista 64 - Then ran Bios tool to update to 1103 without a hitch - I installed all patches and Vista updates - then I inserted the additional 2 sticks of RAM (Model# OCZ2T8002GK - APPROVED RAM ON QVL list and says ALL 4 SLOTS WORK FINE) and attempted boot up to only have freezing and or crashing - If removed and only use 2 sticks this ram works perfectly - I tested the Blue slots and the white slots with the different pairs of ram and it all works fine UNLESS all 4 sticks are inserted into this motherboard.

I have no clue what voltage to set this RAM to as I was hoping Auto would work just fine. I've seen other people have this same problem with this board, but not really sure how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated including RAM settings etc...

Board:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI - 680i

RAM:

OCZ2T8002GK

Its something with the board as the Ram checks out fine.

Try booting into BIOS with two DIMMS, set the Memory voltage to 2.1 to 2.2 v. Shut down and add the remaining two DIMMS and try booting that way. You can go to 2.3v if you need to in order to get the 4 DIMMS to run.
July 21, 2007 6:19:29 PM

This thing is looking dead now - wont boot up at all even with the 2 gigs out of it but the green light still comes on - how do you know if it's a dead board?
Related resources
July 21, 2007 6:23:08 PM

GenericName said:
This thing is looking dead now - wont boot up at all even with the 2 gigs out of it but the green light still comes on - how do you know if it's a dead board?

Reset the CMOS jumper. Unplug the power supply. Remove the battery and reset the CMOS jumper. If the system still won't boot up, remove ALL the ram and boot. If the board does not beep signifying there is no RAM in the system you have a bad MB. You have to have a speaker to connected to the MB header to hear the beeps.
July 21, 2007 9:02:03 PM

I have the ASUS P5N-E SLI and you get the same problem when trying to use all four slots. I tried using OCZ to go to 4gigs (you need to put in 2 sticks - open the bios - set the voltage to 2.1v or 2.2v - make sure to leave the timings set to auto. Reboot and them shut down and add the other two sticks. don't over clock until you successfully boot with al four slots filled.
I also tried there 4 gig set, but i found out you have to set them to 800mhz, took them back too.
I ended up with Patriots 4 gig set. My board auto detected the timing's (5 5 5 12 2T) right from the start (PDC24G6400ELK) and it's only two sticks.
July 22, 2007 5:55:58 PM

I've tried doing those settings and to no avail it will always hard lock on startup. Both sets of RAM and Both slots work fine as I've booted to Vista testing both.

I'll have to wait to hear back from the OCZ people to see what the exact settings should be for the Ram (OCZ2T8002GK) I'm using.

The system runs like a champ as long as there is only the 2 sticks inserted. The CMOS fixed the above problem - so thanks for that help.
July 22, 2007 8:06:12 PM

Problem is NOW FIXED! Woohoo

Use the update utility and Flash BIOS BETA 1201 for Asus P5N32-E Board and then shutdown - insert the other 2 sticks - boot up and no more feeze - VISTA 64 Bit sees all the RAM now.

Here is my system that is 100% functional

- COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6700

- ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

- (2) EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Cards in SLI mode

- (2) OCZ Titanium 1T 2GB (2 x 1GB - 4 GIG total RAM) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) EPP Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2T8002GK

- Tagan TG1100-U96 ATX12V / EPS12V 1100 Watts Power Supply

- (2) Dell 2407 UltraSharp 24" Wide DVI 6ms 9-in-2 Card Reader 3-year Advance Exchange 4 USB 2.0 PortsAdjustable Stand

- Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- Sony NEC Optiarc Combo Drive Black IDE Model CRX320EE/B2S W/O SW

- SUPER TALENT INT-AIN1-C All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

- Logitech Media Elite 967559-0403 Black USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard

- Logitech G3 931691-0403 2-Tone 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse

- Genius SP-i350 10 watts 2.0 Black Expert Speakers for MP3 & NB

- WACOM Intuos3 PTZ630 6" x 8" Active Area USB Tablet - Retail

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate DVD (Full)

- Microsoft Office Standard 2007 (Full)

- ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus - Retail

- (6) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan - Retail

- ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - Retail

- Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound

People interested in the Stacker 832 Case should know that with the 4 side fans one of them gets in the way of the Video Card Power Plugs - there are 2 that go into each card from the power supply so you will need to take out the Fan Piece that mounts your fan - no big deal as I still have 3 running on the side of the case, but they could have designed that a little smarter.
!