Sign in with
Your question

Network boot

Last response: in Windows XP
January 18, 2010 4:20:14 PM

I need to boot from the network to cature and deploy an images to some older (XP-sp3) laptops that were donated to my school. I have one computer setup but I can not get it to boot from the network. I thought WinPe, which is what I think I need, came with XP. Apparently not since I did a clean install. I have a deployment sever set and have done this to various other computers in the school. How can I or what do I need to get, to get this computer to boot from the network?

More about : network boot

January 18, 2010 5:46:27 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

I'm not sure, but for a network installation you need a RIS server on your network.
m
l
January 19, 2010 1:32:21 PM

Thank you!

In response, I have an RIS server. I have captured and deployed several images. I can't get the clients to boot from the network. When you press f12, it still boots to windows. I checked the setup but there isn't any pxe option. I am working on 2 different laptops that were donated- 6 older gateways & 32 older compaq. They were wiped clean. I installed Win XP sp3, on both. I can boot from the gateway, created a syspreped image and deployed it to the others. The Compaq on the other hand will not boot from the network, no f12, no option in the setup.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2010 1:56:45 PM

the compaqs may not support pxe booting. I would create a WinPE disk and use that to boot with full network support. you should then be able to deploy your images.
m
l
January 19, 2010 2:46:24 PM

Oh, i think that you computers don't support the RIS installation.

Another option? if the compaq have the same caracteristics, install one an do an imagen to install the others.
m
l
!