Sign in with
Your question

GA P35C-DS3R or ASUS P5K3 deluxe?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2007 1:43:24 PM

Hi folks....building a new system with a Q6600, and would like to run it stable at 3g +
I'm looking at the above 2 boards - which would you recommend? I dont need any
of the fancy bells and whistles of the ASUS, but I have heard the Gigabyte does not
OC as well as the ASUS, and is not as stable. Any thoughts?

also, since both boards have onboard 7.1 audio, do I need an audio card?

thanks!
July 25, 2007 2:52:06 PM

Well.. You've heard wrong. Gigabyte makes great overclocking boards. Mind you, you are planning to OC just by 25% witch is hardly a challenge for both boards. Just pick one and focus on a good CPU cooler, a case with good airflow and getting your hands on a Q6600 with G0 stepping (you might wanna go higher then 3Ghz).

About the sound card, weard question really, Sound on mobo will work just fine but if you are looking for a better preformance you might concider a X-fi from creative.
July 25, 2007 3:09:40 PM

Would I need a CPU cooler? doesnt the CPU come with a heatsink and fan? If I get a cooler, would the fan mount of it or toss the fan that comes with it? I thought pple are able to OC the G0 without additional cooling. And what cooler do you guys recommend?

And about the sound card - what do you mean by getting better performance from a sound card? I know using onboard sound will come from the CPU but I thought that with the current CPUs that should not be an issue. Would the sound card improve sound quality during games?

thanks again! I appreciate the input.
Related resources
July 25, 2007 3:19:51 PM

Retail CPUs come with a heatsink/fan, OEM ones do not. You didn't say which you were buying. The included one is fine if you're buying retail, but you'll need one if not.

Onboard sound is pretty decent these days. You'll get better sound quality from a dedicated sound card though, and an x-fi will let you enable all the eax effects. I'd go without it first and see if it sounds ok to you.
July 25, 2007 3:33:34 PM

If you're just playing music and games, I doubt you'd need an audio card. If you're doing audio recording and such, then buy one.

As for which to buy, depends on what you want to do. Asus mobos have vdroop which stops a drop in voltage. This is great for OCing. Gigabyte doesn't have this feature.

3.0ghz will be easy to get on either board. I'm getting the p5k (ddr2 version) b/c I'm looking for a high OC (3.6ghz +). If you want the most stable, Asus is it. Gigabyte isn't unstable though, just doesn't have vdroop.
July 25, 2007 4:45:18 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't have vdroop right after you say Asus is the most stable. The P5K Deluxe has had a vdroop issue which is not good, there are mods to fix it though. the DS3R has not had this issue.

To the OP if you want to overclock your quad core you're going to have to have an aftermarket cooler, regardless of G0 stepping if you want to overclock.

Coolers to recommend with be a Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120. Both perform very well. The Tuniq gets you the fan and thermal paste so you don't have to worry about that, but The Ultra 120 allows you to pick your own fan which can increase performance and/or lower noise. I wouldn't recommend the Ultra 120 Extreme, its mounting method is flawed and the base of it's heatsink typically needs to be lapped for optimal performance.

There is a new cooler coming out by Thermalright called the IFX-14 if you money wasn't the biggest issue.

Either motherboard will take you to the limits of the Q6600 thermal wise, since they put out way more heat you don't need to worry about reaching fsb speeds that a dual core would typically reach cause of their ability to oc higher.
July 25, 2007 6:55:41 PM

NeOpHoRm said:
Would I need a CPU cooler? doesnt the CPU come with a heatsink and fan? If I get a cooler, would the fan mount of it or toss the fan that comes with it? I thought pple are able to OC the G0 without additional cooling. And what cooler do you guys recommend?

And about the sound card - what do you mean by getting better performance from a sound card? I know using onboard sound will come from the CPU but I thought that with the current CPUs that should not be an issue. Would the sound card improve sound quality during games?

thanks again! I appreciate the input.

If you are going for overclock, getting a good CPU cooler is a very good idea. The fact that your CPU can be overclocked with a stock cooler doesn't mean that it should be! For example Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme will keep your CPU temperature @3Ghz lower then a stockcooler could @2.4Ghz (Stock) (Idle&Load alike) and that is very healthy for your Q6600. However that cooler can be difficult to install so you might want to consider Tuniq Tower 120 or Zalman CNPS9700 or 9500.. or consider some other userfriendly brand (make sure you know that your choice is a solid preformer or it would be a waste of money).

- Depending on model coolers come in different configuratons, sometimes just a heatsink (you have to buy a fan separatly) or a combo (fan included)
- Recomendations for a cooler are dead simple: *Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme if you want the best. (Order a fan as well as it comes without one)
*Tuniq Tower 120 if you want something more userfriendly.

Overall, overclocking with a stockcooler is illadvised and (in my opinion) plainly stupid...

About the sound card, It will improve the sound quality in games and otherwise. Depending on the game ofcourse.. some have a better support for X-Fi then others but it will not be a drammatic improvement and you will get use to it very soon. If you have the money you should defenetly get a X-Fi, you will not regret it, if not.. you'll be ok without it. In other words: It's not a waste of cash but it's not a must either.
July 25, 2007 8:47:44 PM

Another question - I got an Antec nine hundred case, and it was bundled with the Antec Trio Power 550 PSU. Should that be adequate? I'm planning on using the GA-P35C mobo, q6600, 2 x 1gb DDR2 800 Crucial Ballistix, and WD 500gb SATAII. Is it possible to partition the hard drive before installing the OS (brand new HD).

about the coolers - I'm considering the Zalman 9700 vs the Tuniq - since both are near the same price, which is the better option?

thanks again!
July 25, 2007 8:57:31 PM

You didn't mention graphics card, but that psu ought to be fine for most single card confgs. The tuniq generally gets better temps than the zalman, so go for that. As for partitioning, its been a while but I believe you can do it as part of the OS install, when you select where to install the OS to.
July 25, 2007 10:51:14 PM

The tuniq and the thermalake 120 are 2 of best the coolers out there. The zalman 9700 is also a step above the 9500, but all three of these heatsinks are a little bigger then regular. I'm sure case should be fine though
July 25, 2007 11:31:12 PM

NeOpHoRm said:
Another question - I got an Antec nine hundred case, and it was bundled with the Antec Trio Power 550 PSU. Should that be adequate? I'm planning on using the GA-P35C mobo, q6600, 2 x 1gb DDR2 800 Crucial Ballistix, and WD 500gb SATAII. Is it possible to partition the hard drive before installing the OS (brand new HD).

about the coolers - I'm considering the Zalman 9700 vs the Tuniq - since both are near the same price, which is the better option?

thanks again!

Powersupply with 3 18A 12V rails will hold (Antek Trio 550).

It is possible to partition the harddrive before installing OS.

Simpler ways are:

- Making a bootCD with Partition Magic (user friendly)
- Creating partition during OS Install (user friendly as well)
- Running Command Promt of a floppy and then go Fdisk on your harddrive :o 

You will get that option as you install OS, I think it is a better (simpler) way.

Tuniq is a better option.
July 26, 2007 12:56:20 PM

thanks guys!

just ordered the Tuniq for $50 shipped! does it come with the thermal paste or can I use the one that comes with the CPU?

for the GPU, I cant decide between 320 vs 640mb 8800 GTS. might just bite the bullet and get the 640.

only part I'm waiting for is the q6600 G0 ! dont know when those will arrive.

July 26, 2007 3:00:22 PM

The Tuniq Tower 120 ships with Thermal paste. It really depends on your monitor resolution for which card would suit you better. If you got the extra money then just get the 640mb and be satisfied. Check here for G0 availability and where, seems like they're pretty much out and in stock.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15... hlight=stepping+q6600
!