8800gts with an asverage of 15-20 fps

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
i just started playing games on my new gaming pc with my 640mb 8800 gts. i notices a lag while playing bf2. i ran 3dmark06 and my score was 4934, and the cpu tests were at 0 fps. during the graphic tests my fps was only abouy 15(except on deep freeze it was a constant 22fps). at the end it said that my processor(p4 @3.0ghz) is the 7th slowest of all the ones reviewed and my 8800gts was pretty slow too. Im not worried about the cpu becuase with the price drops i will get a q6600 soon, but I am wondering if this is normal for a 88oogts or if i have a bad one. all the resolutions were on 12x10. thanks.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
No its not normal for a 8800 gts , i know cause i own it .

Also i can tell you that it is your cpu which is holding you back big time .
Another thing what psu do you have , you need about 30a on the 12 rail .

A P4 at 3gigs is bringing your card down, and 3dMark reacts quite favorably to better cpus as well, so the overall isnt really indicative of your true gpu score (they add the cpu and the gpu for total) Check your gpu scores then compare them to others. And as I said, that cpu will make your GTS look like its lacking

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
i plan on getting a quad soon, but it might not be till mid august. as for the psu i have a 700w ocz.

on a seperate note, i just installed stalker and started playing it. the resolution is fine, but i notice a lag every now and than. when it started to rain i saw these weird triangles of light flickering on the screen.

i just wanted to know if a better processor would fix this.

thank you

cristip60

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Don't get a quad core any time soon, we don't even have full dual core support on all of the application and games out there and you want a quad core, just save your money and get a e6600.

Actually for the same price as the quad he could get the E6750 and be even better off. But I agree, don't get a quad yet. Quads aren't the best for gaming. Don't get me wrong, they aren't slouches, but the E6600 actually beats the Q6600 in some game tests.

As for the artifacting (triangles on screen), did your card come overclocked? It may be a bad overclock which means either lower the speeds or send it back. But you do need something better than that P4.

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
the card was never overclocked. its just a regular 8800gts. i was thinking of getting the quad becuase i heard that crysis was going to support up to 4 cores, but if i will get a better performance out of a dual core i would go with that

cole92

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Your artifacts could be caused by outdated drivers or old chipset drivers. Also, is your pci-express slot on your motherboard 16x?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Your processor, given the resolution you play it, will be a bottleneck as you rely on cpu power at lower resolutions more than you do at higher resolutions where the gfx card "takes over". Even then, a p4 3.0ghz should net you decent gaming especially in games like bf2.

A better processor will not fix your artifact issue. You're going to need to call tech support on your gfx card as that is typically a hardware issue and will need to be replaced. Ignore what people are saying about not getting a quad core. Games can, will, and are using quad core cpu's. Supreme Commander uses quad core, intel has released code to help game developers multi thread in parallel to increase performance. You will not regret getting a quad core now, as with all technology its better to be ahead of the curve in order to maximize value in your investment.

-Get tech support to replace your gfx card
-Go ahead and get quad core, its a very good purchase to make, better than any dual core

jaoreill

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

This statement couldn't be more correct.

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
ya i think that i'll do that, but about replacing the card- its not under warrenty anymore... so i dont know what to do there.

I agree, while Quad core may only have a smattering of support now, if he's talking about going up from a P4 then he's likely going to hold on to this well into/past next year, so go with the quad core for long term.

But if he's looking for raw frames in current things then a dual core would be better, but I prefer a longer term strategy for someone not upgrading often.

TRENDING THREADS