Sign in with
Your question

my PC wont show up my 500GB WD Sata drive, what do i do?

Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2007 9:37:23 PM

i just got this HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the only time it shows up is when i boot up my pc, it detects the HD. when the windows is loaded its nowhere to be found. this is my first Sata drive so maybe im doing something wrong. i tried launching my pc with windows xp disk to see if i can format the drive, but it wont show up this way neither. anyone got any ideas?

*EDIT*

i fixed it! read it how http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243815-32-wont-show-5...
August 21, 2007 9:54:15 PM

on a side note, i flashed my mobo with the latest bios, its a mobo from 2003

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 gig corsair xms RAM
200gb Seagate IDE drive
1.7 (2100+) AMD
ATI Raedon 9500pro
LG DVD+-RW rom
August 21, 2007 10:31:32 PM

fugly said:
on a side note, i flashed my mobo with the latest bios, its a mobo from 2003

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 gig corsair xms RAM
200gb Seagate IDE drive
1.7 (2100+) AMD
ATI Raedon 9500pro
LG DVD+-RW rom

It appears to only be sata 150, you may have to jumper your drive accordingly. Check your HD's website. Also there's a jumper to enable the sata ports. Download the manual yourself....

Its possible that you may have to install a driver for the MB, again RTFM.
Related resources
August 22, 2007 12:47:20 PM

I know this many be completely obvious, but did you plug the red cable into the correct slot? I once made this mistake. :) 
August 22, 2007 1:28:54 PM

go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management

format the drive and assign it a drive letter.
August 22, 2007 1:43:26 PM

yeah, also you may have to mark it active or initialize it for its first use too, otherwise, yeah, do what the above person said.
August 22, 2007 2:20:16 PM

yeah do what valis says, or go to google and type in:

WD data lifeguard tools

That will take you to WD's site where you can get their handy dandy drive install and cloning program. You can use it to make a fully bootable backup of your main HD, or just to install it as a dummy 2nd drive. Anyone with a western digital HD should have this software.
August 23, 2007 12:15:26 AM

i already got lifeguard tools, it wont detect any other drive then my windows drive.

i reconnected the drive, used a different sata slot, and still nothing.

i got my old 200GB Seagate partitioned into 3 parts, and thats the only thing that shows. or when i connect my backup IDE drive, that shows too. anything shows but SATA, wth??

i searched for drivers but all it has is some "Controller SATA driver" i have no idea what that is, but i doubt its for a HD when i looked at the description.

in BIOS there is nothing that says enable sata, the only thing i see is "launch SCSI first then SATA" option and vise versa.

what am i not doing right?

THE DRIVE SHOWS UP IN DOS WHEN ITS BOOTING UP, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS!!!
a b G Storage
August 23, 2007 3:18:50 AM

valis said:
go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management

format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Do what he stated.
August 23, 2007 6:00:37 AM

jaguarskx said:
Do what he stated.

as i already said, THE DRIVE DOESNT SHOW UP!!! what am i supposed to format, thing air?
August 23, 2007 6:08:12 AM

try what exactly?

where do i get the drivers?

all i could find on the WD website is

-WD Serial ATA RAID Controller Card Driver
-SIIG Serial ATA Controller Card Driver

and neither is what im looking for. damn are satas this complicated? if i knew it was this way id just get a ide one instead
August 26, 2007 8:40:56 AM

hey guys, i wanna thank EVERYONE who came through with feedback but here is what happened.

I FIXED THE PROBLEM AND MY HD WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!!! :) 

my ASUS mobo had a CD that came with it, on it were all the drivers i needed, including the SATA driver. i followed instructions and did exactly what it told me to install the driver, after i did the HD was recognized in the Computer Management only (just like some of you suggested). So i formatted the HD in there (took 2 hours), set a drive letter to it, and now im backing up my files as im typing this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh i feel so releived, no more thinking of returning this or that i have a bad HD that wont work. SATA's are more complicated but i think they great and should be more user friendly with future windows vista and other software :) 
!