my PC wont show up my 500GB WD Sata drive, what do i do?

i just got this HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073&Tpk=WD5000AAKS

and the only time it shows up is when i boot up my pc, it detects the HD. when the windows is loaded its nowhere to be found. this is my first Sata drive so maybe im doing something wrong. i tried launching my pc with windows xp disk to see if i can format the drive, but it wont show up this way neither. anyone got any ideas?

*EDIT*

i fixed it! read it how http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243815-32-wont-show-500gb-sata-drive#t1732754
12 answers Last reply
More about wont show 500gb sata drive
  1. on a side note, i flashed my mobo with the latest bios, its a mobo from 2003

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    1 gig corsair xms RAM
    200gb Seagate IDE drive
    1.7 (2100+) AMD
    ATI Raedon 9500pro
    LG DVD+-RW rom
  2. fugly said:
    on a side note, i flashed my mobo with the latest bios, its a mobo from 2003

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    1 gig corsair xms RAM
    200gb Seagate IDE drive
    1.7 (2100+) AMD
    ATI Raedon 9500pro
    LG DVD+-RW rom

It appears to only be sata 150, you may have to jumper your drive accordingly. Check your HD's website. Also there's a jumper to enable the sata ports. Download the manual yourself....

Its possible that you may have to install a driver for the MB, again RTFM.
  3. I know this many be completely obvious, but did you plug the red cable into the correct slot? I once made this mistake. :)
  4. go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management

format the drive and assign it a drive letter.
  5. yeah, also you may have to mark it active or initialize it for its first use too, otherwise, yeah, do what the above person said.
  6. yeah do what valis says, or go to google and type in:

WD data lifeguard tools

That will take you to WD's site where you can get their handy dandy drive install and cloning program. You can use it to make a fully bootable backup of your main HD, or just to install it as a dummy 2nd drive. Anyone with a western digital HD should have this software.
  7. i already got lifeguard tools, it wont detect any other drive then my windows drive.

i reconnected the drive, used a different sata slot, and still nothing.

i got my old 200GB Seagate partitioned into 3 parts, and thats the only thing that shows. or when i connect my backup IDE drive, that shows too. anything shows but SATA, wth??

i searched for drivers but all it has is some "Controller SATA driver" i have no idea what that is, but i doubt its for a HD when i looked at the description.

in BIOS there is nothing that says enable sata, the only thing i see is "launch SCSI first then SATA" option and vise versa.

what am i not doing right?

THE DRIVE SHOWS UP IN DOS WHEN ITS BOOTING UP, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS!!!
  8. valis said:
    go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management

format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Do what he stated.
  9. jaguarskx said:
    Do what he stated.

as i already said, THE DRIVE DOESNT SHOW UP!!! what am i supposed to format, thing air?
  10. royalcrown said:

try what exactly?

where do i get the drivers?

all i could find on the WD website is

-WD Serial ATA RAID Controller Card Driver
    -SIIG Serial ATA Controller Card Driver

and neither is what im looking for. damn are satas this complicated? if i knew it was this way id just get a ide one instead
  11. hey guys, i wanna thank EVERYONE who came through with feedback but here is what happened.

I FIXED THE PROBLEM AND MY HD WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!!! :)

my ASUS mobo had a CD that came with it, on it were all the drivers i needed, including the SATA driver. i followed instructions and did exactly what it told me to install the driver, after i did the HD was recognized in the Computer Management only (just like some of you suggested). So i formatted the HD in there (took 2 hours), set a drive letter to it, and now im backing up my files as im typing this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh i feel so releived, no more thinking of returning this or that i have a bad HD that wont work. SATA's are more complicated but i think they great and should be more user friendly with future windows vista and other software :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital SATA Storage Product