Water Gurus: I needz ur wisdomz

mrmez

Splendid
K, story goes...
Im replacing my oil cooler in my water sys with a 120mm style rad.

Question: Given that i only cool my CPU (e4300 @ 3.1Ghz) will the single style rads be enough?
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=220&cat=72&page=1
gts120_2pass_black_800w.jpg

I rly want to use a single 120mm as im trying to keep my p180 case looking clean and tidy, big rads on top/side/behind will fook that up. Would like to use a 2x120mm, buy it MAY (will) hit my gfx cable

backpanel.jpg

Rad will sit by exhaust vent

TIA
Mez

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
A single 120MM fan rad should work fine, but I do not recommend much in the way of OC'ing if you have a high end dual core or a quad core cpu. Heck I would not even recommend putting a high end video card into the loop since it will probably cause the cpu to have higher temps. Since either a high end video card, or a quad core can throw out alot more heat than a single core cpu.

-ouch1

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
A dual core with minimal o'clocking - yeah it'll do fine. But, like ouch1 cautioned, not a quad-core and you most certainly DO NOT want to add anything else to the loop. Also, something else that will have some influence is the fan arrangement (like if you use a single fan or a "push-pull" configuration) and what model pump you are using.

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah, thanks guys, i was pretty sure that would be the case.
Im just tapped out as to where i can put this frikkin rad without screwing up the neat look :/

Anyway the two options at this stage are...
1.) 2x120mm rad get some spacers and mount is so there is a 'push' fan below the exhaust fan (will require some shroud and rad will sit skew)
2.) 3x120mm rad and if u look at the case from the top, rotate it 90degrees and have the fans blowing across the case. Advantage: can mount 3 fans with fresh air and no intefering with cables. Disadantage: wont look as pretty, will block exhaust a little, cost more.

Water is teh gayzor sometimes :(

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Actually some of these guys might want to do a little more research on the subject as single 120mm radiators are just fine for the heat output on dual cores, and a matter of fact a new swiftech's single 120mm radiator paired with Swiftech's new Apogee Drive CPU Block cooled a Core 2 Quad clocked at 3.66GHz w/ 1.45 vcore. Don't believe me see for yourself

http://vr-zone.com/?i=5142&s=5

Of course to remind you this is a quad core, not even a dual core. So let me inform that any quality wc setup with good pumps and a good single 120mm radiator will be just fine for an overclocked dual core and even a quad core, assuming you use quality components, which there are better cpu blocks and radiators out there than what was used in the H20-120-Compact.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Icy,

It is still better to be safe than sorry and have more rad than you currently need. Since you never know what upgrades you may do in the future. That is why I am saying a dual 120mm rad would be better for him. You know, thinking of hte future....

-ouch1

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Definitely sounds good to think ahead, but with his current limitations with space it sounds like a single 120mm rad would be good. i was really responding to the posts concerning performance. Basically everyone here has convinced the OP he HAS to have something bigger than a single 120mm radiator which is completely false.

mrmez

Splendid
Thanks for the input guys.

Ok, one thing i have found from the limited thermal dissapation info provided is this.

Quality of the rad is of UTMOST importance.

For example...
The cheap $29 1x120 can dissapate 1500 BTU's per hour, while the midrange $33 1x120 gets over 3000 btu's

Its the same with 2x120 rads too, with the midrange providing twice the capability as the lowrange.

Unfortunately no data was provided for the high range rads or the superduper thermochill rads.

Given the law of diminishing returns, id say the mid range really is the sweet spot of price/performance. Having said that, the fact that id like to run 1x120 only leaves me 2 choices. The $95 Thermochill or $75 black ice GTX. Since the thermochill is out of stock, the winner is...

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=255&cat=90&page=1

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Also look at swiftechs, should be comparable to the black ice GTX, Thermochill PA series is definitely the superior radiator though.