Need help

akaimetsuki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12850SW2113&vpn=GFC-00599&manufacture=MICROSOFT#customerreviews

I found that above for pretty cheap and then looked at the reviews to see what people thought about it, and one of the reviews said "I just installed this last night, comes fully sealed. This is a full version of the software, fresh install, no key needed/proof needed of old operating system. this is a full version copy."
So I was wondering if I really do need a old OS to install thiss since, it will be for my first build, and I am pretty sure the HDD doens't come with a OS, so not sure how it will work out if I get the said above item.

Thanks for the help.

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
That looks to be your standard Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM version. It is not an update version, your previous OS does not matter, you can insert that DVD and do a clean install. It will come with a Product key and all that, it's just the OEM version, meaning it will basically tie itself to the hardware you're using like motherboard etc, when you install it, when it goes to activate it will look at your hardware and come up with a hardware ID to identify what it just installed on, to keep you from activating it on different PCs. So keep this in mind if you plan any major upgrades as unless you know how to smooth talk an MS rep it can be a pain to install it on a future build heh

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
This is a full version with OEM license. The purpose of that license is that it has to come pre-bundled with a built computer. That is, you can purchase it as a system builder and bundle it with your PC. You'll have to show that you are a system builder. For example, you can purchase an OEM version if you buy a motherboard from them at the same time. You can also purchase other hardware such as a CPU and/or memory along side. You'll have to provide a technical support for it (not Microsoft). You also can use it only on one computer (defined as one motherboard). You won't be able to legally move it to another computer.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Well, you can go as far as upgrading a CPU, but you'll have to keep the same motherboard (did it myself). Just do not do it too often.

One of the major things the Windows activation process looks at is the MAC address of the ethernet port, now commonly part of the motherboard. That is why replacing the motherboard, even with the same model, will usually break the activation.