Why can't my P5B Dex-WiFi & E6300 go past 495 FSB??

loybond

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Namaste! I have an Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi edition mobo with an E6300 (stepping 6, revision B2), and OCZ PC2-8500 (1066 mhz) RAM (the one that has the Nvidia SLI-certified logos). I can't seem to pass 495 FSB, and I look around on the net, and there are ppl with my mobo, CPU and slower ram who are hitting 520+!!! I saw a post where another individual had a similar problem, others advised him to put his SB voltage at max and NB at max, and he was able to do 520 as well.

What could be holding me back? My ram can do 1100+ MHz, I don't think it could be that. Could it be the mobo, the CPU, or some kind of hole/wall? I tried 505, 515, 520 and it wouldn't boot. Right now, I'm running stable at 495 FSB, the speed is 3465 MHz. According to CPU-Z, my memory is 1:1 and 5-4-4-10, can that be right?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Oh, sorry, forgot to add I'm using water cooling in the Thermaltake Kandalf LCS case.

Ok. Let's take this into context. You are trying to take a motherboard that is rated for 266 Mhz FSB, and take it to ~double that, 520 Mhz. You are attempting a ~100 percent overclock on the FSB, as well as the CPU. Yet, you are complaining? That does tell a lot about your personality. However, it doesn't answer your questions....

I would think it is your either your memory or CPU that is holding you back. Your processor is only a 6300, rated at 1.8 Ghz. You already have basically doubled that. You may try to loosen your memory timings a bit. If you have already tried tweaking voltages, there isn't much else to do.

However, think of it like this....You have already overclocked your rig to higher speeds than most people who own E6600 systems. How much more performance do you think that 25 Mhz FSB will get you?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Its called OCD.