Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
First off: my soon to be system.
Q6600
8880GTS 320 MB
650i Ultra
HP PC6400 RAM
Secondly:
I have never overclocked before. I have read several guides and know the best way to learn is to try it yourself, but I want to make sure I do not screw up the system I just shelled out some serious bucks on.

The main points of overclocking (and please correct me if I am wrong, I am looking for corrections)

1. Raising the FSB or CPU multiplier for faster speeds.
Since the Q6600 is locked at 9x I would need 333 MHz to run at 3 GHz (my goal)
2. In order to support this I must increase the vcore so it is high enough to support the new speed.
3. I can not go too high or it fries from too much voltage.
4. I want the heat as low as possible, Q6600 as a quad core, emits a lot of heat. And with overclocking I will need a good CPU heatsink fan and some strong 120 mm case fans.
5. I start off with the RAM loose 5-5-5-15 so the system is definetely not crashing because of that.
6. Then I increase the FSB bit by bit, upping the vcore at each stage so that it stays stable.
7. When I get to my desired speed I run the core tempature programs and Orthos, which tries to crash my system.
8. I tighten my RAM timings back up.

Is that all? And, what are some specific vcore and heat limits for the Q6600 (just give me a link to an Intel site that shows it or something, you don't have to go to the actual page, not asking anyone to be my slave ;) ).
And, if you have a Q6600 and have overclocked, I would love to hear tips/actual setting from ya.

Cheers

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
You dont nessessarily need to increase the voltage, that is what can POSSIBLY brake the CPU although it is very unlikely aslong as you are careful.

What the best idea to overclock is, is to increase your voltage to say 1.45 or 1.5 to see if your prossessor CAN actually run stable at what you need, and if you find it can , slowly start lowering the voltage until you find the minimun stable amount, it could take a day or 2 to find it but it really is worth it.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I would get a Tuniq Tower 120 to cool your Quad core, they good for that. Hatman's suggestion is right on. 3.2 GHz is a good target for that Q6600. If you need help with your OC come back and I help you. Good luck on your new PC build!