Need Help With Custom Computer I Am Making?

gtgcoolkid

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I am making my first desktop computer. I followed the directions and put everything in but the computer would come on for 4-5 secs and then go off.

Then I decided to take out everything except the mobo and the power supply connecting it but its still doing it. It will come on and then go off. The mobo's light is on (green) so it is getting power.

The motherboard is ASUS M2N SLI and the power supply is Antec ATX 650 Watt. The case is Antec P180 if that makes a difference. The power supply's fan also comes on.

I am just wondering what maybe wrong as I have spent 3-4 hours on this and can't figure it out. Can someone please help me out on this?

I have a cpu cooler on there on top of the Athlon X2 5200+ and it will do the same thing. It will come on for the 4-5 secs and then shut off. So I don't think its the cooler. The cooler I have is a different make than the one comes with the processor. Does that matter?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It's most likely that the HSF isn't secure, this will occur if the CPU is overheating. Take of the HSF clean off the thermal paste with rubbing alcohol, coffee filters work real well, put a dab (more Is Not better) of new paste and make sure it's secure to the CPU. While you have it out of the box start it up and see if this fixes. Before you put the board in the case, make sure you have the precise number of offsets and when you put the board make sure there is a screw for each offset.