Sign in with
Your question

1333MHz C2D Motherboard that supports WXP SP1!?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2007 9:04:50 PM

Hello, I am getting PC parts and now the last one and the hardest one is the motherboard. Ive been searching for days.

Specs:

E6750 @ 2.66GHz FSB 1333MHz
8800GTS 320mb
2GB OCz PC2-6400
500GB WD sata II 16mb

I need a motherboard with FSB of 1333 and it supports Windows Service Pack 1. Do you have any links? I've already considered Gigabyte DS3 revision 3.3 but I cannot find it anywhere. I am buying parts at infonec.ca. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
July 25, 2007 10:19:13 PM

Can you explain why you would not be talking about SP2
July 25, 2007 10:28:17 PM

I don't think you'll have any luck. Nobody develops drivers for new hardware that will run on an older, buggier version of XP.
Related resources
July 25, 2007 10:45:26 PM

Why SP1?
Is it due to a hacked activation that balks at a SP2 upgrade?

Or you have XP_SP1 installation CD, and you are worried that
you can not even do a basic intstall to run SP2.exe after that?

Borrow someones SP2 version (if you legaly own a XP serial)
Or Slip Stream your own sp2 version.

July 25, 2007 10:47:06 PM

Alright, then is there a good motherboard for SP2 ? Thanks. (not expensive)
July 25, 2007 10:51:15 PM

tonyp12 said:
Why SP1?
Is it due to a hacked activation that balks at a SP2 upgrade?

Or you have XP_SP1 installation CD, and you are worried that
you can not even do a basic intstall to run SP2.exe after that?

Borrow someones SP2 version (if you legaly own a XP serial)
Or Slip Stream your own sp2 version.

what does it mean slip stream?
July 25, 2007 11:43:44 PM

namby_trojan said:
what does it mean slip stream?

I think it means downloading illigally and then installing using your own valid serial.

I have no idea what you mean by XP motherboards.. I see no reason why any P35 motherboard would fail to work with any version of WindowsXP or even Windows98?

Edit: Win98 is a bit of an overkill as there is a good chance that they don't support it these days but WinXP SP1 or SP2 will work just fine with any P35 mainboard you pick.
July 25, 2007 11:52:49 PM

Slip streaming has nothing to do with downloading illegally. You can extract the information from a windows xp installation CD to a directory on your hard drive. It won't be usable. You can, however, update the data in the directory (from SP1 to SP2, for instance; or you can add extra drivers or remove drivers or ... quite a few other things) and then put the data back onto a CD, now with the changes.
July 26, 2007 12:24:26 AM

I have heard that some settups wont even take an XP install unless its a SP2 version right off the bat so at minimum you have to slip stream SP2 into an ISO of your XP SP1 CD and then burn it to disk.

If you dont know what slip streaming is google it. There are very detailed instructions that make it very fullproof and you can download and use VMware to test your CD before you format.
July 26, 2007 12:42:08 AM

namby_trojan said:
Hello, I am getting PC parts and now the last one and the hardest one is the motherboard. Ive been searching for days.

Specs:

E6750 @ 2.66GHz FSB 1333MHz
8800GTS 320mb
2GB OCz PC2-6400
500GB WD sata II 16mb

I need a motherboard with FSB of 1333 and it supports Windows Service Pack 1. Do you have any links? I've already considered Gigabyte DS3 revision 3.3 but I cannot find it anywhere. I am buying parts at infonec.ca. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Keep in mind that your 500GB HD will only be seen as 130GB under SP1. Also get the Seagate it's a better drive and buy a legal version of XP or Vista.
July 26, 2007 4:39:18 AM

I have Windows SP2, but I have SP1 on CD. Is there any way to use windows update on the SP2 motherboard, while you are still in the SP1 state?

Alright, so what's a Good C2D FSB 1333 motherboard that is not very expensive?

Thanks.
July 26, 2007 6:21:47 AM

WTF is this dude about? Since when does the MB care whether or not you're running SP1 or SP2 (or *gag* Linux *gag*)?

That aside, no wait...I am not going to waste anymore time on this knucklehead.
July 26, 2007 7:04:05 AM

preferred method- google nlite it makes slipstreaming super easy all you need is your windows xp sp1 cd and the sp 2 update. if you don't want to do it the easy method you should have no trouble just installing sp 1 and doing a windows update to get sp2 just be aware as ByDesign stated of the 130 gig limit and just create 1 partition of 25 to 50 gig for the os install and then partion the rest of the drive from computer management under administrative tools in control panel after the update
July 26, 2007 8:35:58 AM

130gig limit is in the plain jane XP. SP1 fixed the problem.
July 26, 2007 4:09:24 PM

So umm, should I start another thread because it doesn't seem that people actually read my posts.

I said no worries about SP1 anymore, all I want is a good / not expensive motherboard for Core 2 Duo that supports FSB 1333.
a c 124 V Motherboard
July 26, 2007 5:34:26 PM

Best bet if your not going to over clock is to just grab the cheapest P35 based board you can, if your gonna over clock get a more expensive one.

P35 Based boards are designed for 1333FSB, you can use a x975 or p965 but you will be overclocking the chipset then.
July 28, 2007 12:56:35 AM

I think the 680i is a pretty good board. At least now. If my wife keeps pissing me off, she's going to see >$1500 in charges for a Black Pearl MB and 8800 Ultra! :) 
July 28, 2007 1:38:24 AM

i dont know what is worse the original question or the replies but ill try to help.

yes you can install XP SP1 on any motherboard that supports your hardware and then download service pack 2. its also possible to download service pack 2 by itself, put it on a cd and then just install it right after you install xp.

if your having trouble finding which motherboards have support for vista or any other operating system, pick out a few boards that you like, go to the manufacturer website and look up those boards to see what drivers are available. they will be listed, windows 2000/XP (which means SP1 and 2) Vista, Linux, and all other OS's supported.

now to the people who were questioning why he would want to install SP1.

because he owns the cd.

SP2 is a free download and will come in the updates as soon as he connects to the internet.

i hope that helps.
July 28, 2007 2:48:42 AM

Hyster...you beat me to it man!!

I was going to say the same thing about the service packs. If you install plain jane XP (my legit copy is one of the first copies of XP to come out...I got it in December 02!) and then just simply update with SP2 on a disk it works just fine. I recently did a reformat with a RAID 0 configuration and an NF4 Ultra chipset and used plain jane XP pro with the F6 driver of course and everything was fine! I then updated with SP2 which I have on a disk and all is well.

The board really does not care what OS you are running so long as there are drivers for all of your hard ware under that particular OS. I would check out some of these Gigabyte Neo series boards...one of which will support either DDR2 or DDR3 (not at the same time of course). Or perhaps the ultra durable 2 series from.....uh...is it MSI? I know that it has all solid capacitors and like a 12 phase CPU power supply circuit so its made to last a long long time and then some! Good reply BTW Hyster.
July 28, 2007 3:40:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.
July 28, 2007 4:24:11 PM

Look around and you can find XP SP2 ,it may be somewhere on the Windows update site.I got mine from bittorrent.Save it to a CD or usb drive.Install your SP1 then run the SP2 installer.
July 28, 2007 5:51:40 PM

and if you have a hdd bigger than 130gb, after you install SP2 go to the run command and type diskmgmt.msc to find the unpartitioned space and partition it through windows.
July 29, 2007 1:22:48 AM

NewbieTechGodII said:
WTF ... knucklehead.

If you can't think of anything productive to post, it's best all around if you don't post anything... :o 
!