SATA drive and Northbridge Fan

tomassacre

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Hi,

I didn't know if to place this here or in the Motherboard section. The thing is that about a week ago, my computer started randomly crashing (freezing) and rebooting. When it rebooted, after the POST and the Verifying DMI Pool Data, I would get the BOOT DISK FAILURE message. I would open my computer, shake the cables a bit, reboot, and magically it would load Windows XP again.
Two days ago the same thing happened but it just wouldn't load again. No matter how much I shake the cables, or if I unplugged and re-plugged them.
Then I noticed that my Northbridge fan was dead, with tons of dust on it.
Can this be the issue for my SATA Drive not working?

Also I brought the HDD to the office and plugged it to my work computer and it ran right away. I was able to back up some important files into a pen drive, just in case the HDD was the issue.

Northbridge

This is the name for the chip in most desktop PC motherboards that handles the data transactions between the CPU, AGP device, Southbridge chip and the main system memory. The performance of the Northbridge chip will have a substantial impact on the power of the entire system.

You may have a bad motherboard.

tomassacre

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Also, if this helps, the HDD runs (if I touch it I can feel the disk spinning), which means it gets power, but it is not recognized (sometimes even if the disc is spinning, the HDD led just won't turn on)

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
get a new nb fan, if that doesn't fix it, get a new mobo and stick the new nb fan on it, that way you haven't wasted money and you don't have to worry about the same thing happening to your new one.