Sign in with
Your question

Help Migrating Files Between 2 Vista PCs

Last response: in Windows Vista
September 26, 2010 5:44:15 PM

I have a Windows Vista PC that I have used for about two years. It has become outdated, and I ordered the parts to build a new one. I plugged in the motherboard, and Vista would not start (Would go into a restarting loop), but it worked in my XP Test Bench PC. I need my programs on the new PC (I am missing the disk for a couple), and was wondering how best to tackle this.

*I can place the new motherboard in a different case
*I can use two hard drives
*I will be keeping the same OS (Vista Home Premium 32-Bit)

I wish to keep my programs and files (Everything). I would like to keep everything on the same hard drive (It's a 750GB, so it has plenty of space), but I am open to anything. I just need my files and my programs transferred.

I have heard that I can move files and settings with a Vista Transfer Cable. Would that work?

Thanks for the help
September 26, 2010 9:15:47 PM

"I have heard that I can move files and settings with a Vista Transfer Cable. Would that work?"
NO, "move files and settings" does not include programs, they would need to be reinstalled.
That leaves you with the original drive as is, that creates more problems as you have found.
Before we go any further, you need to be aware that if your copy of Vista is OEM then the licence is not transferable to the new build and would fail activation.
If it's a retail version, you can try a repair instalation by booting from the Vista disk and running setup. If you the repair is succesfull and Windows boots up, then you can install all the drivers for your new motherboard.
If you get it going ok then you will need to reactivate Windows, you will have 3 days to do it in, online activation will likely fail and you will need to phone Microsoft on the toll free number.
m
l
September 26, 2010 11:34:45 PM

Quote:
If it's a retail version, you can try a repair instalation by booting from the Vista disk and running setup. If you the repair is succesfull and Windows boots up, then you can install all the drivers for your new motherboard.

My Copy of Vista is Retail. Would trying the repair function remove my programs? I used system restore on this PC about a year ago with no problems. Would the repair function cause the programs to still be there???

Thanks for the Help
m
l
September 27, 2010 5:39:52 AM

The repair does not effect installed programs or data. This is only to repair Windows.
m
l
!