Should I overclock?

llThunDeRll

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Should I overclock my pc? Would it overclock ok? Also what would happen if i went a little two far? Like i took baby steps but the next baby step screwd up my pc? Also what else do u think i shud overclock other than just the processor?

Intel Core 2 E6420 Duo Processor 2.13Ghz
WinXP Home
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM)
256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS
375Watt Power Supply

It is a dell xps 410 and I just recieved it 2 days ago. Its fast but would it be a lot faster if i OCed?

llThunDeRll

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Also I dont want to overclock my processor to much maybe just about to a 2.25 or 2.4 max...im to scared the overclocking will ruin my entire computer...what is the worst that will happen =\

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
You should be able to OC the CPU alot with good cooling (3ghz+), and at least 2.5ghz with the stock intel heatsink.

The only thing overclocking will do is cause you system to crash every so often, but that should only happen if you run the cpu at its maximum speed it will go. Keep going untill you find it highest stable speed (doesnt crash under load) and then back down i little to be safe and ensure stability.
Keep the temps below 60c and it should be ok.

To start, set the memory speed:FSB ration to 1:1 (so with a FSB of 300 the ram will also run a 300mhz).
Then raise the FSB untill a speed you feel comfortable with and then try and get memory back up to speed by changing the ratio. My e4300 did not require any voltage increases to reach 2.9ghz, so i doubt your e6420 should either.

The C2D ocing guide should be useful. Its a sticky on this subsection.

Your power supply may be a issue though....

CompuTronix

Intel Master
This isn't what you want to hear, but your Dell won't allow overclocking. The time to ask this question was before you ordered from Dell. This is why most everyone on these Forums is running either home built or build-to-order computers, because we overclock.

Good luck with your Dell,

Comp :sol: