Sign in with
Your question

WHY??? does my brother's comp restart

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2007 4:04:59 PM

Basically I am now strongly annoyed at my brother's computer because several times now when I have been playing him at supreme commander his computer will restart around the 40-80 mins mark (they normally don't last any longer than that) he has a socket 939 amd x2 4200, 2 gigs of ram (ddr) and an x1900 xt (i think thats what its called anyway) his PSU is 650 watt one (I don't know what make exactly) can anyone suggest the problem and (even better) a solution? it gets annoying when ur in the middle of an epic war and it suddenly ends

More about : brother comp restart

July 22, 2007 4:42:54 PM

It sounds like his vid card is over heating. It could also be a lack of stable power to the GPU. What vid card does he have? You may want to run memtest just to eliminate memory as a problem.
July 22, 2007 5:00:55 PM

If it was the video card, wouldnt the PC just screen freeze? I had a video card that would overheat and the screen would just lock with the usual artifacts on the monitor. I was thinking that the power supply might be faulty. OP - check and post the statistics for the power supply if you can please.
Related resources
July 22, 2007 5:59:52 PM

that's an interesting point I did think it was the vid card but you may be right can someone confirm what happens usually if a vid card dies
July 22, 2007 6:44:50 PM

Please post your specifications and voltages/apms of the power supply if possible.
July 22, 2007 7:29:27 PM

There are a lot of reasons this could be happening:

1. Faulty power supply.
2. Too high of load on a cheap power supply.
3. Overheating CPU (dust, heatsink not seated properly, overclock, poor case ventilation).
4. Faulty RAM.
5. Loose power connectors (CPU power, motherboard power).
6. Faulty motherboard (short, damaged capacitor, etc).
7. Faulty CPU (bent pin, overclock, etc).
8. Virus/spyware/malware.

Best if you could post the specs of your PSU. Check if the CPU temps are high, also try blowing out any dust in the heatsink. What sort of ventilation/fans are you using? Did you overclock? Double-check your power connections and check for damaged components and shorts. Do a virus/spyware scan. Test your RAM with Memtest86+

I think it is likely the powersupply. They make power supply testers for $20, but you could also test using a multimeter. Or if its still under warranty, RMA.
July 22, 2007 7:51:27 PM

My brother just ran ati tools and its running under load at 86 degrees and he won't let me look at his PSU yet he's using it
a b B Homebuilt system
July 22, 2007 8:34:05 PM

1. Virus/ Spyware
2. Over heating CPU/GPU
3. Bad PSU
4. Corrupt data/ Bad HDD

I personaly think that this is more related to #4 listed above. I had this happen to me when i was playing CoD2 and Halo CE on a water coold rig.
July 22, 2007 8:35:48 PM

That video card temp is quite normal for an X1900...mine with an after market cooler and open case cooling has hit 92c before on load, so I dont believe that to be the problem. And as mentioned above...in most cases where the video card is the problem and overheating is the cause, will make the screen freeze before making the computer restart.

Best,

3Ball
July 22, 2007 11:06:33 PM

ok I'm a noob and so is he so we will just copy what it says on the box
(apparently it was a cheapy) It says: "Features: separate 12 v rail supply to mainboard and drives a couple of things saying it works with modern Mobos and it says Universal Wide Range input of 95 250 VAC (which sounds like bull**** to me) oh yeah and it is also made by atrix (whoever they are)
July 22, 2007 11:07:51 PM

oh and we just noticed some really small writing on the box saying "active PFC function:
PF value 0.99 under condition of 230 AC/50 hz at full load
July 22, 2007 11:15:51 PM

oh and if you do think it is the PSU can u suggest an alternative (sorry to keep thinking of more stuff)
thnx a lot btw
July 23, 2007 12:56:42 PM

Yup, that's a really cheap PSU. If you want to get a quality PSU you'll need spend between $80-$150. Some good (but pricey) brands: PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone.

If your budget is lower, Enermax, Antec, and Mushkin have mediocre PSUs around $80 (but better than your brother's Atrix PSU).
July 23, 2007 1:40:05 PM

i'll tell my brother because he can probably afford a new PSU
July 23, 2007 1:46:11 PM

qwertycopter said:
Yup, that's a really cheap PSU. If you want to get a quality PSU you'll need spend between $80-$150. Some good (but pricey) brands: PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone.

If your budget is lower, Enermax, Antec, and Mushkin have mediocre PSUs around $80 (but better than your brother's Atrix PSU).

i wouldnt call antec and enermax psus mediocre. yes, theyre not top tier like pc power and cooling and others, but theyre still very good (for the most part). a nice neo power can be had for between $40 and $70 depending on the deal you find. all the problems related to the neo series seem to be related to asus boards only.
July 23, 2007 2:08:37 PM

Right my brother has just informed me that when it crashes the screen locks up for a few seconds before it restarts. Does this fit with graphics card overheating? Bearing in mind he still has the factory cooler on it etc so its possible it gets hotter than 86 degrees under extreme load (the image in ati tools didnt look that taxing)
July 23, 2007 2:25:11 PM

I've got a funky suspicion that it's the power supply and not the video card. But it's just a hunch w/o system specs and power supply information. You should be able to run an application that measures the voltages being fed into the motherboard and post those figures.

Another good, well built, and solid power supply is FSP. I'm currently using their 500W version and haven't had any problems pushing my hardware and the voltage levels are very well in tolerance.

July 23, 2007 2:36:41 PM

chocobocorey said:
i wouldnt call antec and enermax psus mediocre.

80 plus all the way.

Seasonic is manufacturing Antec's earthwatts PSUs

you could download and burn "ultimate boot CD"
run memtest, that should remove ram as the problem if it passes.
they also have HDD diagnostic tools from the manufacturers
also try cpu burn-in and see if you can activate the thermal trip on to processor, {if not and no freezy should be hoecake}
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

---
second link sucks woops
July 23, 2007 3:12:44 PM

"anyways 230 VA doesn't really cut it for preset compys, recommend new {good} PSU"

that's not the operating wattage you dolt, that's the lil sticker on the back that says you can use 120v or 230v, you know, use it in USA or Europe. it's 230v not 230W

that number doesn't mean anything relevant actually.
July 23, 2007 5:44:11 PM

sorry I must of skimmed it quickly {edited} I've been told I'm a dolt {darn, my bad} I'll try not to let it happen again, {I swear I read VA as in V*A=W}
http://www.atrixlts.com/Atrix/Product.asp?CategoryID=18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+50008907&name=ATRIX

they use that "Universal Wide Range input of 95 250 VAC" BS on all their PSUs
they have cheap capacitors, probably blew
hopefully your Motherboard is OK
get some long rubber gloves {safety goggles?} and {let it the PSU cool down for a day} and open it up a you'll might see a blown capacitor it looks like rust colored xbox logo.
to quote Newegg customer reviews
"you get what you paid for"

maybe the power it's giving off is to funky for the video card, I'll do some surfing
oh and Belinda, it is only the cheap PSUs that we are concerned with; and this Atrix PSU seems to have an average life of one year.

anyways are the Graphics Drivers up to date, is your brother running vi$ta {DX10 game}
July 23, 2007 8:22:37 PM

Damn this board is obsessed with PSU's.
Ok it could be the PSU but... heres where knowing the game comes in handy. Since it's 40-80 minutes after game start and from what the OP is saying it's only Supreme commander causing problems my guess is that it's the 2 GIG issue. If your playing with high unit count and/or AI's on the game runs out of addressable memory. When this happends is also dependent on how much memory your graphics card has.
My advice goto GPG site and find the fix by Mad Boris.
July 23, 2007 9:06:53 PM

Belinda said:
Damn this board is obsessed with PSU's.
Ok it could be the PSU but... heres where knowing the game comes in handy. Since it's 40-80 minutes after game start and from what the OP is saying it's only Supreme commander causing problems my guess is that it's the 2 GIG issue. If your playing with high unit count and/or AI's on the game runs out of addressable memory. When this happends is also dependent on how much memory your graphics card has.
My advice goto GPG site and find the fix by Mad Boris.

according to him it happens in other games as well (but only taxing ones) I only mentioned SUPCOM specifically because it is the only game that I play him at
July 23, 2007 9:32:20 PM

Well that told me.
Oh well back to back to giving advice on sewing and ironing
July 23, 2007 9:35:41 PM

I didn't see mention of this before, but is the computer overclocked? (I've been overclocking my computer, and I had one of my voltages too low, and may computer would restart after an hour of oblivion, but in nothing else, including memory, cpu, and video test run at the same time). If not then run mem test to make sure the RAM is good and running good voltage. Reset the Bios (usually with a jumper), and run orthos to stress the cpu and the ram. If nothing comes up with those test, then the card isn't getting enough power or is faulty.
July 23, 2007 9:41:08 PM

The voltage on his ram probably needs to be increased .1 or maybe .2 volts. Had Ocz DDR sticks do this till I bumped them up to 2.7 volts.
July 23, 2007 10:14:53 PM

I have the same problem, no idea how to solve it, but my power supply is a £60/$120 dollar one and according to several different reviews it should provide enough power to run two x1900 xtx in CF so i dont think its the problem (considering i only have one such card it should be more than enough power) but it still does exactly what your brothers does. (screen locks for a few secs then restart after around 45 minutes to 1hour of gameplay depending on the intensity of the game) I havent done any overclocking at all by the way and under load my cpu only hits 42 degrees so i dont think thats the problem either.
July 23, 2007 10:51:17 PM

"2.7 volts" which OCZ?

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
from ATI

Quote:
Data Corruption May Occur If the Large System Cache Feature Is Enabled

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=986
doesn't apply to pci express though

Quote:
737-28023: General Lock ups and Hangs

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=28023

the thing about games is there everything intensive, we have to rule out the extras like bad ram, corrupt/worn HDD, bad motherboard {or bad/out-of-date MB drivers}, bad/under-powered PSU, overheating/bad processor, and overheating/bad drivers/bad graphics card, seating issues, cooling issues, possession by demonic force issues...
July 23, 2007 11:52:45 PM

coldmast said:
possession by demonic force issues...

I wonder what the exorcism for a computer would be. Holy Alcohol is probably involved.
July 24, 2007 12:25:46 AM

of course! thats my computers problem, its possesed by an evil spirit, thanks a lot im going to call the pope now and have him purge out the evil!
July 24, 2007 2:44:27 AM

I was hoping for a shaman or a witch doctor,

now take thy "Holy Alcohol" and remove thy tainted evil (boxed with processor) cheaply made, probably bubble gum that was chewed by a demon, thermal compound.

and replace with thou superior product; just a dab, no more, no less (apple is wrong); along with thy better Heat-Sink and Fan!

{some people like the evil spirits, maybe thats why voodoopcs cost so much?}

get thy brother on to thy tom's hardware forums and lets us make short work of this demon
July 24, 2007 3:51:19 PM

I would guess psu or overheat as probably the two most likely reasons
July 24, 2007 4:47:07 PM

i have ordered a new heatsink for my graphics card, will post in a few days and tell you if it worked or not. If it doesnt im going to pour holy water in the dvd drive and see if that helps.
July 24, 2007 5:54:47 PM

Packerfan: good answer!

Ubuntu Christian Edition installed on a computer that features holy water cooling. :lol: 

you might have to decrease the voltage as well

please post as much info as possible what: kind of ram is it ? {Brand, Description, and Speed.}
July 24, 2007 6:00:15 PM

Stickmania, have you checked what voltage your ram is set at? If you have "hi-performance" ram it probably needs more voltage than default. And this issue won't show until the memory bus is stressed (even after being tested by memtest in some cases). All I know for sure is it's a lot easier to check your BIOS than buying a PSU, heatsink, etc.
July 25, 2007 2:34:15 PM

if i increase the voltage when it doesnt need it though, will it fry my ram? i mean it might be easier to just up the voltage a bit and see if it helps cos i cant remember what brand of ram it is etc so i cant be sure it needs it.
July 25, 2007 2:50:10 PM

Resets 40-80 minutes into the game?

How is he doing in the game at that point?

ever wondered if the cause of the reset is his finger hitting the button labelled "Reset"?

Just kidding, sounds like graphics card or psu. swap his card for yours, get him to play a skirmish, see if that helps.
July 29, 2007 3:24:26 PM

so? will it fry ram if it has too much power?
July 29, 2007 3:41:15 PM

Read this article

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034

it talks about theh 2GB barrier in 32 bit os and the case study was done using supreme commander. Maybe this is your problem. If you are hitting this, it would cause seemingly random restarts with no explaination. This is particularly revelavent if you are playing at higher resolutions
July 29, 2007 4:43:18 PM

I am sure glad I am not having this problem - with so many possible causes. (Make sign of cross and knock on wood)

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
August 1, 2007 11:15:46 PM

jedi940 sadly not cos my comp reboots it doesnt just crash to desktop like in the case in the article you posted a link for, and it happens in most games not just supreme commander. Its a damn annoying problem...
August 2, 2007 3:29:14 PM

oh lord cheese thy greatest cheese lord; start thy new thread entitled:

Fix Stickmania's Computer
Win Pet Rock!

list all your specs, say what you have done so far, and do all the free stuff first, say that you tested the free advice, and then we will get "back: to the hardware"

there isn't one magical post that will fix all your worries.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2007 5:03:23 PM

Check out the sound drivers. Disable all sound and see if the problem persists. If not, then look for updated sound drivers, or turn down any acceleration features in the driver.

fwiw, the Atrix PSUs on Newegg look like globs of wet doodoo. Even if not the problem in this specific case, buying a better one would be money well spent.
August 2, 2007 5:36:33 PM

A small voltage increase like they are suggesting shouldn't hurt your comp. If you crank it up to 24V, though :lol: 
August 3, 2007 12:34:21 AM

right i put a new cooler on my gfx card today, now is 73 degrees under load, 45 when idle (not much better than before but its now virtually silent, which is something at least)
Anyway is this now low enough to assume its not my gfx card overheating that is causing the problem?
August 3, 2007 1:43:33 AM

Yes, that temp is fine. Does it still restart?
August 3, 2007 1:55:43 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
It sounds like his vid card is over heating. It could also be a lack of stable power to the GPU. What vid card does he have? You may want to run memtest just to eliminate memory as a problem.

I 2nd that suggestion
August 4, 2007 10:10:26 PM

Hmmm, i want to try memtest but i'm not sure how to use it, as in will i have to make a disc or can i just run it off my desktop? (By the way thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions its much appreciated)
August 4, 2007 10:17:23 PM

even though I started the thread, I have left it to someone else to thank you people, very churlish of me, I (and by proxy, my brother) also thank you all
August 5, 2007 12:46:40 AM

First you need to get the error message that is causing the restart... you need to disable Windows RESTART on BSOD.

In windows XP....

click Start > Control Panel > System > click advanced tab

Under Start Up and Recovery > Click settings

Under System failure > Uncheck Auto Restart.

Next time it BSOD's write down the error information and then google it.

If you don't do this you're just chasing your tail.
!