Cutting a new intake fan hole??? How doI do that???

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Im thinking of cutting a new fan intake fan hole at the top of my case. How do i start to do this? i was thinking of just getting a large drill...what do u guys think. I have a lian li aluminum case...

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
well, you have to strip your case of everything. MB,drives, psu etc.

I dont think you will find a 12cm drill.

I used a bi metal cutting blade on a jig saw.

I then used a dremel to clean up the edges. A file will work just fine.

Drill the mounting hole's.

I then washed in my bathtub to make sure that all the little metal shavings were out.

Dry thoroughly, put it back together.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Use the Force, Luke.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I'm going to be doing this soon. I'm going to use metal hole/round saw to cut the whole, then smoothing it off with a file. Then I'm putting in an led 12cm fan with a fan guard. Sense it is in the top of your case, you are much better off putting it as exaust.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Is that a 50 cal? :eek: That thing doesn't shoot holes in you, it blows you into pieces. Arms and legs in different directions. :ouch: :pt1cable: :ouch: :pt1cable:

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Nope, it's the tried and true M60 (long since replaced); I named it "The Punisher". The thing on top of it is the AN-PVS-5 Night scope. 100 rounds of 7.62mm ball ammo in the bandoleer.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Actually det cord would work a little better; I just don't know how much case would be left! But if you shot it up with that weapon, then the OP wouldn't need a top blow-hole because the case would already be well-ventilated!

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
you can get drill bits that have a pilot then have a giant spinning saw thingy around them, they are what i use to put new fan hoes/remove fan grilles.

I added a 120mm exhaust fan to the top of my case just a few days ago. It was my first attempt and it turned out to be a fairly easy case mod.

A local Ace hardware store had a Makita 4 1/2 inch hole saw that will drill/cut metal and a mandrel (special drill bit that is attached to the hole saw). There are other brands available but Makita was the least expensive. It took about 20 seconds to drill/cut the hole using the hole saw, mandrel, and an electric drill. The 4 1/2 diameter hole is just a little smaller diameter than a 120mm fan. It turned out to be the perfect size. The edges of the hole were were fairly clean. I didn't have to do any filing or nibbling. I used flexible case molding around the edge of the hole to give it a nice clean look. I found a 120mm chrome fan grill at a local CompUSA store that worked with the molding. The grill was slightly raised so it cleared the molding. Most fan grill are flat.

As previously mentioned, empty out the case because metal shavings wind up all over the place. I had a brand new case so all I had to remove was the hard drive cage at the bottom front of the case and the stock fans that came with the case.

Before you drill/cut be sure to check the placement of the fan. I inserted my power supply in the top rear of the case and an optical drive in the top front of the case to make sure the fan would not be in the way. Remove both items before you start drilling/cutting.

Wear safety glasses and gloves. The metal filings are sharp and dangerous.

The mandrel has a drill bit that makes a pilot hole to get things started. It also keeps the hole saw from moving all over the place. When the hole saw makes contact with the case the case will shake, rattle, roll, and get damaged if not held firmly in place. I didn't have a vise or some other device so I placed the case against an inside corner of a wall and used my feet and knees to hold the case firmly in place. Keep a tight grip on the drill too or it may It's not an ideal solution but it worked. Use the fan grill to determine where to drill the holes for the fan screws.

The hardest part and most time consuming was cleaning up.

NOTE - The fan at the top of the case should be used as an exhaust fan blowing hot air out of the case.

GOOD LUCK!

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

Shrapnel mesh case mod. :lol: I'll have to try it sometime ;)

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

An ASUS Crosshair motherboard, Crutial Ballistix Tracer memory, a BFG 8800GTX... I think this might actually be a cool theme for a lan box...
???

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I saved the Picture and expanded it but it's pretty grainy. I can just make out the belt. My mistake, needless to say I'm no expert. I did have a friend of mine give me an old Russian (I think) bolt action 7.62 × 51 rifle. I only fired it a few times but it did pack a punch.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon! :)

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
What happened to my Honda?
I had to get rid of it, baby.
Whose motorcycle is this?
It ain't a motorcycle, baby. It's a chopper.
Whose chopper is this?
Zed.
Who's Zed?
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.
vrooom! vrooom!