Problem updating BIOS

I have a K8N Neo4 Ultra (non-SLI). I have a RAID 1 boot array. The last time I tried updating my BIOS my array was no longer detectable by windows (xp pro) and I had to re-install the OS.

I was told that if I update the chipset drivers first the array will be detectable. Looking at the newest NForce drivers it states "Uninstall any existing nForce networking drivers prior to installing this package." If I uninstall the old drivers aren't I in fact going to lose the array? At which point how would I be able to install the new chipset drivers? Or, do I simply uninstall the network drivers leaving the rest of the chipset drivers in place?

Anyone know how to properly update the bios & chipset drivers without losing the boot array?

Because the bios also contains the RAID bios. I have 4 WD2500KS drives on the same controller. Two in RAID 1, the other two are not in an array. Both HDTach & HDTune show the individual drives having an average of 55Mb/s. The array shows 48Mb/s in HDTach and around 43Mb/s in HDTune. The bios is about four rev's behind. I'd expect a RAID 1 to perform at least equally well as a stand alone drive or better, not slower. I'm hoping a newer RAID bios will perform better.

Also, it would be nice to be able to recover from a bad OC. ;)

Fixes since my current rev:
This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Show full logo during POST.
- Add safety recover function to revert BIOS into default setting when system unable to boot due to overclocking.
To enable the function please press the reset button or power button 3 times.
- Update NVMM firmware version.
- Update Silicon 3114 firmware version.
- Update CPU ID.

I'm using the NVRaid, not the SIL3114.

Here is a snapshot from HDach. Notice also, that the array never has a smooth curve. It's all over the place.

Raid.jpg

That does not look right. I would too think that read times on the array should be better than a single drive.

It's been a while since I messed with RAID, so I working from memory here but...
Since this a mirrored set, not striped like RAID 0, how can you lose anything? If you do lose the array, at the very least, you should be able restart the array, and then let the array rebuild the mirrored drive after your done updating the drivers, BIOS etc. There should be options in your RAID BIOS to recovered or rebuild a mirrored set without having to start all from scratch with a Windows install.

Check this link...
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t11732.html

Now if the drives were in RAID 0, about all I could say is good luck, you are going to need it.

Well, I can lose the array (in a sense) because if I install new chipset drivers and it doesn't play nice with the older NVRaid bios, the OS will be hosed. It's raid 1 so the drivers get written to both disks. The array will be intact, but the OS will be hosed.

Rodney, I laughed at the show full logo too, but that's not why i want to update. The newer bios updates CPUID and even better, "safety recover function to revert BIOS into default setting when system unable to boot due to overclocking". Sure beats having to go inside the case and hitting the reset button all the time. Primarily though, I'm looking to get the array performance up. It should be at least as fast as a single drive.

If I don't find a solution, I'll leave it as is because other than certain games taking longer to load levels, everything else is fine.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I'm not sure I understand why you're afraid to uninstall the networking drivers? The Raid drivers are part of the storage driver pack, not the networking pack. Under the Nforce uninstall it should offer the option of only removing particular portions of the driver pack.

I'm not sure I understand why you're afraid to uninstall the networking drivers?

I wasn't sure if this was a typo. Last time I looked into this it just said to uninstall previous drivers, which didn't make sense to me.

Maybe I'll image the drive and give it a go. Worst case I'd have to revert to my current bios and restore the image.

Also, is there anyway to just update these instead of the whole package?

WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.63)

I could have sworn the NVidia web site had these listed separately somewhere, but can't seem to find them.