Sign in with
Your question

Help with buying parts

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2007 5:25:21 PM

Hello... I am just getting into building computers, so there is A LOT I either don't know or don't understand yet. But I have been pricing parts online and I needed some opinions. I plan on playing a lot of games on it. Epecially the newer one like Bioshock that look like they are going to use vista and direct x10. Besides I already have vista ultimate. I also do some video editing and 3D modeling. I even use programs like reason to compose music. I guess my problem comes in with what mother board do I buy? I know the least about them. I was thinking about buying a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Radeaon HD 2900 XT, 4 gigs of ram. I just want to make sure this is a good bond between them. What motherboard will work best with that set up? Also I would like DDR3 ram if possible. Another thing... what kind of power supply would I need for all of that? I hear the 2900 XT uses a lot of power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : buying parts

July 22, 2007 6:17:53 PM

I'd go with this combination:

Q6600
8800 GTX (less noisy, consumes less, better performance - overall better value)
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
DDR2-800 memory
OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU

DDR3 is not worth it right now, you get the same performance much cheaper with DDR2.

Also get an X-Fi ExtremeMusic or Fatal1ty, but only if you're serious about the music and money is not a problem. Onboard audio on that motherboard is very good, just fine for most people.
July 22, 2007 6:44:44 PM

awesome thanks a lot for your help
!