C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Suddenly my XP/SP2 has no sound capability. Looking
at Device Manager/Sound, Video, I see C-Media AC97 Audio
Device, whereas my machine for 2 years has been using
Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.

I seem to recall that a recent "Windows Update" may have
given me the new C-Media software, and I'd like to
verify that it did, and find a way to uninstall it if
it was a gift from Microsoft which blocked my regular
nicely-working audio.

Thank you.
--
William B. Lurie
10 answers Last reply

    billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    > Suddenly my XP/SP2 has no sound capability. Looking
    > at Device Manager/Sound, Video, I see C-Media AC97 Audio
    > Device, whereas my machine for 2 years has been using
    > Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.
    >
    > I seem to recall that a recent "Windows Update" may have
    > given me the new C-Media software, and I'd like to
    > verify that it did, and find a way to uninstall it if
    > it was a gift from Microsoft which blocked my regular
    > nicely-working audio.
    >
    > Thank you

    system restore? Or has it been a long time? I never load the
    drivers from MS. It's a known problem area. Always get them
    from the manufacturer.

    I'm not at an XP box but I seem to remember there was a rollback
    feature on the driver tab for the device.

    gls858

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Suddenly my XP/SP2 has no sound capability. Looking
    > at Device Manager/Sound, Video, I see C-Media AC97 Audio
    > Device, whereas my machine for 2 years has been using
    > Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.
    >
    > I seem to recall that a recent "Windows Update" may have
    > given me the new C-Media software, and I'd like to
    > verify that it did, and find a way to uninstall it if
    > it was a gift from Microsoft which blocked my regular
    > nicely-working audio.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    If your driver has indded been updated with another, have you tried to "roll
    back" the driver? In Device Manager, right clikc the sound device, click
    "Properties", click the "Driver" tab, select "Roll Back Driver"

    Thanks, Peter. I hadn't been aware of that
    capability. Tried it, but there was no "history"
    for it to revert to. I uninstalled the C-Media
    drivers and reinstalled the original from the
    vendor's CD but that didn't fix the problem.
    Still looking......

    gls858 wrote:

    > billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    >
    >> Suddenly my XP/SP2 has no sound capability. Looking
    >> at Device Manager/Sound, Video, I see C-Media AC97 Audio
    >> Device, whereas my machine for 2 years has been using
    >> Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.
    >>
    >> I seem to recall that a recent "Windows Update" may have
    >> given me the new C-Media software, and I'd like to
    >> verify that it did, and find a way to uninstall it if
    >> it was a gift from Microsoft which blocked my regular
    >> nicely-working audio.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >

    > system restore?

    I don't do 'restore points' at all.

    Or has it been a long time? I never load the
    > drivers from MS. It's a known problem area. Always get them
    > from the manufacturer.

    See later post, wherein I uninstalled the C-Media drivers,
    reinstalled OEM's Avance Drivers from their CD, but I still
    have the problem. Thanks for advice, though.

    > I'm not at an XP box but I seem to remember there was a rollback
    > feature on the driver tab for the device.

    Right, I tried that, but it hadn't a place to roll back to.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    a few suggestions:
    under control panel/add&remove.........remove the C-Media drivers
    under device manager.......remove the actual device
    reboot........XP should redetect as the original Via Audio Controller
    reinstall the VIA drivers
    reinstall the Avance drivers
    hope this helps
    peter

    the problem

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:11:41 -0400, billurie@nospam.org wrote:

    > See later post, wherein I uninstalled the C-Media drivers,
    > reinstalled OEM's Avance Drivers from their CD, but I still
    > have the problem. Thanks for advice, though.

    Another thing you could try: After uninstalling the CMedia drivers, remove
    the sound device from Device Manager. Restart the computer. If prompted by
    the new hardware wizard for drivers, reinstall the OEM drivers that you
    have. You may not be prompted since these were installed (and working)
    before.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > Thanks, Peter. I hadn't been aware of that
    > capability. Tried it, but there was no "history"
    > for it to revert to. I uninstalled the C-Media
    > drivers and reinstalled the original from the
    > vendor's CD but that didn't fix the problem.
    > Still looking......

    As others have posted, remove the CMedia drivers and then remove the sound
    device from Device Manager, then reboot. Windows will detect the device and
    eiher load the drivers or start the "Found New Hardware" wizard at which
    point you can specify where the drivers are that you want to load. Prior to
    doing this, I suggest downloading the latest VIA sound drivers and place
    them in a folder (unzip the file if it is zipped). If the "Found New
    Hardware" wizard starts up, browse for the drivers in the folder you creted
    so those new drivers will be installed.

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:11:41 -0400, billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    >

    >>See later post, wherein I uninstalled the C-Media drivers,
    >>reinstalled OEM's Avance Drivers from their CD, but I still
    >>have the problem. Thanks for advice, though.
    >

    > Another thing you could try: After uninstalling the CMedia drivers, remove
    > the sound device from Device Manager. Restart the computer. If prompted by
    > the new hardware wizard for drivers, reinstall the OEM drivers that you
    > have. You may not be prompted since these were installed (and working)
    > before.

    Thank you for your always good (and temperate) advice, Sharon.

    The straightforward procedure you outlined did not solve it; I
    had already done that and more. But I solved it a different way.

    I deleted that main partition and restored the system from a
    drive image of 6/22/05 .... just a few days before my audio
    did its mysterious disappearance act. Of course, the audio is
    now working on that restored system. And then I did a Windows
    Update, not allowing it to install whatever was available. I
    selected the Critical Update, and went on to see what else was
    there. Sure enough, there is a C-Media AC97 Audio Update waiting
    to be downloaded and installed. Now if I were a true scientist, I
    would download it and install it, and I feel certain that I would
    lose my audio again. Right now, thanks to my obsession with
    frequent drive imaging, I have spent two days of my time and quite
    a bit of helpful readers' time, undoing what may be a worthwhile
    'upgrade' for some people. I sure hope it is.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:08:17 -0400, billurie@nospam.org wrote:

    > Thank you for your always good (and temperate) advice, Sharon.
    >
    > The straightforward procedure you outlined did not solve it; I
    > had already done that and more. But I solved it a different way.
    >
    > I deleted that main partition and restored the system from a
    > drive image of 6/22/05 .... just a few days before my audio
    > did its mysterious disappearance act. Of course, the audio is
    > now working on that restored system.

    You're welcome, Bill and am glad to hear that you have sound again. I've
    had installs banged out by bad driver updates too so can appreciate what
    you're saying.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Rollback your AC97 do a rollback and do not trust microsoft updates.

    "billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

    > Suddenly my XP/SP2 has no sound capability. Looking
    > at Device Manager/Sound, Video, I see C-Media AC97 Audio
    > Device, whereas my machine for 2 years has been using
    > Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.
    >
    > I seem to recall that a recent "Windows Update" may have
    > given me the new C-Media software, and I'd like to
    > verify that it did, and find a way to uninstall it if
    > it was a gift from Microsoft which blocked my regular
    > nicely-working audio.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie