VGA Charts: Summer 2007

Well we covered this pretty well when they first came out and i see that they have updated them and not paid any attention to what people fed back to them.
Basically the VGA charts have been about as much cop as an online Internet connection fault finding service since the spring 07 changes.
For example they still insist on including cards that cant even do hddr in results for benchies including it.
As i said we covered this before and they havent listened so if i was you i would take the results with a large pinch of salt.
Mactronix

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Mmm.. They do cover all mid range DX10 Cards AND include HD2900XT. I think it's great that they include older cards as it's a great motivation to get a new GPU and a way to compare your old setup to the best hard on the market.

I for once am still running a P4C @ 3.4 Ghz and X850 XT but I am waiting for

Q6600 (hope for 3Ghz)
8800GTX

and it's kinda cool to see how much improvement I'll get before the parts even here :)

goldenboy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
ati very disapointing being slapped about even by 8800gts 320mb in many benches.sigh

jeez the 7900s even beat the 2900 at alot of things

Oh goddamn, They updated it since I looked at it. I checked this morning and the cards I mentioned weren't there. Great now I look like a fool. Say good bye to that post.

zanzabar

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
its good to see that they didnt bench the 2900xt 1gb ddr4, but they benched the 2600 with ddr4, couse u know seeing an ati card on top by 10-15% would destroy people mental state or something

the week point was in teh ddr3 memory but with ddr4 the card has about 166GB/s bandwidth destroying the 8800 ultras 97GB/s,a dn since the r600 has way more rendering power than the g80 its a hands down winner

edit - it looks like they are still benching since i didnt see any sli or cf, but i hope that they bench the 2900xt 1gb

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007

Where are you getting this from. The only "review" of HD2900XT 1GB GDDR4 I could find is this:

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=178344,00.asp

And I would give it a D-

It's a darn shame that Tom's crew didn't include HD2900XT 1GB GDDR4 in the review but I am sure that is because they didn't have one. Personaly I will reserve the judgement until some decent benchmarks are out (from someone reliable) and in my opinion extra 512 MB, even faster one wouldn't improve it much.

I assure you that peoples mental state will be just fine if ATI takes the crown from Nvidia at least for a while. We might even see some price drops or Nvidia just might release Geforce9 before X-Mas. :bounce:

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I know it would pretty hard to do (if even possible to have the same hardware for all cards), but I sure would like to see comparisons for mobile cards...

zanzabar

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
here are the 3d mark numbers
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146577

and i think no1 is reviewing it becouse there is a nda on the 2900 xtx and it uses the 2900 xtx memory controller so that could be it

but toms also looks like they have the benches form the old cat 7.4 drivers adn not teh 7.6/7.7 witch are 30-40% faster in most applications

at lock, the mobile grafix cards are integrated with the chipset so there is way to much, to comparing them. its not like unplugging one card plugging a new one in and reinstalling drivers. and tey are linked the chipset so the cpu and memory controller will act diffrently

your missing the point if you include cards like yours on tests including hddr against cards that use it people who dont know the differance will think that a x850 xt is better than a 7900 and nearlly as good as a 1950 pro which it isnt not by a long chalk.
Mactronix