Sign in with
Your question

1st time overclocking - fan question?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2007 10:00:30 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a Geforce 8800 GTS and I want to overclock for the first time.

I have read several web pages and had some advice on this forum - I will increment in 10Mhz stages (using Rivatuner) then check for artifacts.

Question is I don't know what I should be doing about the fan i.e. should I adjust the power or leave at stock setting? If so what should I be adjusting it too or how do I do this?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Why can't I edit this message? (It only allow's me to do a quick edit and I wanted to change the thread title).
July 23, 2007 10:34:55 PM

Usually the fan is autumaticly controled by a thermistor near the core. But if you start to expiririence artifacts due to overheating you should definetly push the speeds to 100%, but that is too loud. i suggest buying an aftermarket cooler.
July 24, 2007 8:22:30 AM

xciter said:
Usually the fan is autumaticly controled by a thermistor near the core. But if you start to expiririence artifacts due to overheating you should definetly push the speeds to 100%, but that is too loud. i suggest buying an aftermarket cooler.

Many thanks - that's good to know.

Are there any programs out there that like Atitool but for Nvidia cards which automatically detect the best overclock settings?

Thanks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2007 10:52:58 AM

Atitool works for nVidia cards
July 24, 2007 11:01:17 AM

i know that rivatuner allows you to overclock + adjust fan speeds aswell.
July 24, 2007 12:57:20 PM

nTune if you don't want to use Atitool
July 24, 2007 6:43:06 PM

Cheers all.
July 24, 2007 7:10:59 PM

Just tried my first overclock with ATItool - Few more questions:

The settings (core & memory) speak of 2D, 3D low power and 3D perf - if I just want to overclock for games which one should I overclock.

2nd question - I was around 690Mhz core when I bottled it and decided to abort because the temperature had gone to 84 degrees but I don't really know what's a safe temperature anyway - any advice??

Thanks
July 24, 2007 8:14:33 PM

the 3d low and 3d high can be set at the same speeds right?

Im pretty sure most normal games use the 3d high speeds any way.

As for the temp, iv known of people who's cards have reached 110 degrees C and still work just fine. However, I would say 90-95 degrees should really be as hot as you would want it to get after a good few hrs of gaming.
July 24, 2007 9:22:59 PM

I'm not sure what the max temp is tbh. However, I have mine at 620 on the core and 2000 on the memory and mine idles at 50c to 53c and loads around mid to high 60's, I've never had it break 70c. I keep the fan on 100%. Just thought I'd throw that out there for a reference.
July 25, 2007 10:32:19 AM

Ok cheers for the advice - I suppose its down to what temperature people feel comfortable with (and obviously what works).

Quite a big range there though - from 50/60c to 90/95c

Can anyone else let me know what temperature they are running at and what % their fan speed is at?

Cheers!
July 25, 2007 12:27:34 PM

Listen to blade85. 90-95 is pretty damn hot tbh. Any higher and you should be worried.

Are you sure your fan is running at 100% at those temps? NTune has a tool to show you what % the fan is at.

I use Rivatuner to overclock my 8800GTX - it's oriented to nVidia cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2007 1:10:36 PM

Keep it under 80 if you can to be safe. Riva tuner also has a fan setting that works if you chose to crank it up for heat issues. At 84, the temps inside your case also are rising, as nVidia's design doesnt send all the hot air out of the case. Check your other temps too if you can, such as cpu etc. Spikkes is running alot less at 620 on gpu and 1000 (2x effective) on the memory. Thats alot lower than you had yours, at 690, and I wouldnt recommend going that high anyways. Try lower and then check your temps, also going that much higher wont give that much better results
July 25, 2007 5:15:46 PM

Cheers guys - it (GPU) was idling at 64c today, just decided to take the side cover of the PC and it is now idling at 56/57c!

2 questions:

When I open Rivatuner it says that the fan is at 100% or does this just show the driver level settings I could set the fan too if so desired?

When running "check for artifacts" does this mean I am effectively "loading"??

Thanks

Ta.

July 25, 2007 7:07:05 PM

motto said:

When I open Rivatuner it says that the fan is at 100% or does this just show the driver level settings I could set the fan too if so desired?

This what it should look like if you have it set to 100%.

motto said:
When running "check for artifacts" does this mean I am effectively "loading"??

I'm not sure about this, because I have never used it, but I would assume so.
July 25, 2007 7:36:06 PM

Ok cheers Spikke..
July 26, 2007 6:53:01 PM

To see what % your fan is actually running at right now, click on the top Customize button and then select Hardware Monitoring.

This will bring up a dialog with lots of graphs in it. Fan duty cycle % is the bottom. When you come out of a game it should be at 100% and then drop as the temp goes down.
July 26, 2007 8:56:43 PM

Cheers!
July 26, 2007 9:24:26 PM

if you add the coolbits add on to your nvidia console then it will contain an auto detect for OC'ing.

you dont really need to worry about making the fan run at 100% as it will be thermally controlled.

and as said above an after market cooler is always a good option when OC'ing.
!