Windows XP Pro SP3 Will Not Start If sr.sys Is Present

thehands

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
My computer would start up and then lock after one or two minutes. I narrowed down the problem to a System Restore error. I turned off System Restore then turned it back on. The machine froze as soon as it was turned back on. I went into recovery console and deleted sr.sys from the C:\windows\system32\drivers directory and the machine booted and worked flawlessly, albeit without a functioning System Restore. I tried reinstalling SR via the sr.inf file and it seemed to install ok, but then the machine froze again. After reboot, I could not get past the logon screen. I re-deleted sr.sys and it was fine again. I then did a repair install of XP and could not get past the login screen. Once again I deleted sr.sys and it is now fine. Does anybody have a clue what's going on here as it is driving me nuts? Thanks.

greenfield

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I think it is an XP problem

is your computer came with winXP or you installed XP yourself?

If so reboot and press F8 repeatedly and boot into Safe Mode

Search for the file "sr.sys". It should be located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers. If you find it anywhere else it is malware

If you can`t find it, get out your XP installation CD, then,
Start/Run and type in
sfc /scannow (there is a space before /)
OK

System file check will run and replace any missing files.

You will not get a report at the end you will

just have to check to see if the file has been replaced.

If nothing work for ya ,Then I think

You must purchase a full retail copy of XP at this time for XP to function properly

than use that full retail legit copy of XP to Re-install you win XP

Good luck...

thehands

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the response. I failed to mention that I already also tried sfc /scannow. As stated, I can install the file fine, it just won't work after it is installed. I built the computer and installed Windows myself for a customer. I know if I do a clean install it will fix it, but the customer wants to avoid that, so if anyone else has a solution that doesn't require a fresh install, please let me know. It runs fine without SR working, but he likes the feature. Anyone?