Sign in with
Your question

E6600: Is it Worth Overlclcoking?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2007 11:01:16 PM

Hey all,
So I am in a conundrum once again. I am trying to decide if overclocking my CPU is worth it. I have a E6600 Core2Duo and a Gigabyte 965P DS3 mobo. I was thinking of getting a Tuniq Tower 120 for $45 and overclocking, but I wanted to ask if it is even worth it. Will I notice any performance increase in games, most notable maybe Company of Heroes or other strategy games? I was thinking of overclocking from 2.4 ghz to 3.0 ghz. I have an excellent guide for doing it as well as the knowledge, but again, is it worth it? Will I notice a performance difference in games, and if so, how much of one? All my other specs are in my sig.

Thanks
August 4, 2007 10:22:35 AM

Yes get the TT 120 like I did and OC it. Why not it doesn't cost anything to OC and you will notice in some not all games. Whenever you OC a CPU your making it supply data to all the PC components (graphics card) much faster. Some games like Doom 3 I got an increase of 40-50 FPS, in Ghost Recon Advanced WarFighter some inprovement. My Company Of Hero's I saw a big difference. Three months ago I knew nothing about overclocking and here I am helping others out. Glad to be of help.
August 4, 2007 2:30:02 PM

Wow, thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it. Alright, I think I will grab the TT 120 then, right now it is on NewEgg for only $45 with free shipping. Out of curiosity, was there a guide that you personally used that helped a lot? I think that the guide right here on this forum is probably the best I have found, especially as it has a guide specifically for Core2Duos.
Related resources
August 4, 2007 9:06:14 PM

murphy82nd said:
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it. Alright, I think I will grab the TT 120 then, right now it is on NewEgg for only $45 with free shipping. Out of curiosity, was there a guide that you personally used that helped a lot? I think that the guide right here on this forum is probably the best I have found, especially as it has a guide specifically for Core2Duos.

Yeah I used Tom's guide right here, Tom's Hardware is the best place to learn new things computer related. Also take a look at Tom's Core 2 Duo temp guide as well. When I first started overclocking I went right to fsb 400 with a 9 multiplier and thats it, but I found out that wasn' the best way of doing it. Take your time when overclocking as it so much fun.

Whatever you do set the CPU Vcore, FSB volts and northbridge Vcore to manual, as auto over does it. Use Orthos as your main CPU & Ram testing after a Vcore change, then when your happy with you OC test using Memtest (not Memtest86+) Then run Memtest while using you computer (the more program open the better) and if any errors are seen then Memtest will let you know of any. Good luck.
August 10, 2007 7:02:34 PM

systemlord said:
Use Orthos as your main CPU & Ram testing after a Vcore change, then when your happy with you OC test using Memtest (not Memtest86+) Then run Memtest while using you computer (the more program open the better) and if any errors are seen then Memtest will let you know of any. Good luck.

Just curious - why the older, outdated version of memtest86 versus the new one?
August 10, 2007 7:22:09 PM

systemlord said:
Why not it doesn't cost anything to OC

I disagree. He's spending $45 right off the bat to handle the extra heat + more power usage over time. I'm on the same side that it's still worth it to OC, but it's definitely not free.
August 11, 2007 12:39:02 AM

jeb1517 said:
I disagree. He's spending $45 right off the bat to handle the extra heat + more power usage over time. I'm on the same side that it's still worth it to OC, but it's definitely not free.

I meant that the increase in performace right away is free, not long term. The diffenece between Vcore of 1.375 to say 1.45-1.5 volts hardly anything to worry about. I don't think that even if you tried to see the increase in your electric bill you won't/can't notice the increase. Also if you have $2500 dollars to spend I hardly think anyone would care about the electric bill as I haven't seen any increase myself. $45 dollars wouldn't get me a full tank of gas,lol.
August 11, 2007 4:37:34 AM

As far as cost goes, you shouldn't worry too much about upping the voltages. If you're only looking at 3Ghz from 2.4, you shouldn't even need to up the stock voltage on the CPU. Hell, I have an e6400 @ 3.2Ghz (from 2.13Ghz) and not only do I notice a big difference in performance(I should with a full Ghz OC!), my voltage is only @ 1.3375 (not a typo). Hardly a bump in the electric bill. Hope that helps!
August 11, 2007 6:02:34 AM

krazynutz said:
As far as cost goes, you shouldn't worry too much about upping the voltages. If you're only looking at 3Ghz from 2.4, you shouldn't even need to up the stock voltage on the CPU. Hell, I have an e6400 @ 3.2Ghz (from 2.13Ghz) and not only do I notice a big difference (I should with a full Ghz OC!), my voltage is only @ 1.3375 (not a typo). Hardly a bump in the electric bill. Hope that helps!

Better watch out for that huge electric bill longterm wise, just kidding. LOL :lol: 
August 11, 2007 7:14:25 AM

There'll be a vicious rise in current costs... over about ~30 years...

Word of advice - make dead certain the cooling is more than adequate before you start on voltages.
!