"CommonName/CNBabe", is that my problem?

I gave my grandaughter a slightly used HP for her birthday (1.6 Pentium w/XP
Home Edition) and it didn't take long before she got herself into trouble!

Symptoms:
When she connects to her ISP (Quest/MSN) she can't open Internet Explorer,
instead, a bunch of garbage pop-ups show up, things I've never seen before.
Then I noticed some program in the notification area called "108 Search
Assistant", or something like that, so I went to Control Panel/Add/Remove
Programs and uninstalled it! Well this didn't work, now I'm getting errors
referring to "CNBabe", "BabeIE" and "winnet.dll". I can open Internet
Explorer only when her PC is off-line, if I try to open it when it's
connected to her ISP, it opens for about half a second and then closes by
itself. If I try to open Outlook Express, I get an error saying that it
can't find the server, even though it's connected. Over all, everything is
just a big mess and nothing works right anymore.

I did a search for "CNBabe" and apparently it is a nasty, malicious, spyware
program called "CommonName", that hijacks your computer! I found some
removal instructions but it's going to require manually removing lines from
the registry, something I dread!

Has anyone here had any encounters with this horrble program and if so, do
my symptoms sound familiar, is this most likely my problem?

I have a copy of "Spy Sweeper", I'll try that first!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html

    Your PC is probably infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Lunaray" wrote:

    | I gave my grandaughter a slightly used HP for her birthday (1.6 Pentium w/XP
    | Home Edition) and it didn't take long before she got herself into trouble!
    |
    | Symptoms:
    | When she connects to her ISP (Quest/MSN) she can't open Internet Explorer,
    | instead, a bunch of garbage pop-ups show up, things I've never seen before.
    | Then I noticed some program in the notification area called "108 Search
    | Assistant", or something like that, so I went to Control Panel/Add/Remove
    | Programs and uninstalled it! Well this didn't work, now I'm getting errors
    | referring to "CNBabe", "BabeIE" and "winnet.dll". I can open Internet
    | Explorer only when her PC is off-line, if I try to open it when it's
    | connected to her ISP, it opens for about half a second and then closes by
    | itself. If I try to open Outlook Express, I get an error saying that it
    | can't find the server, even though it's connected. Over all, everything is
    | just a big mess and nothing works right anymore.
    |
    | I did a search for "CNBabe" and apparently it is a nasty, malicious, spyware
    | program called "CommonName", that hijacks your computer! I found some
    | removal instructions but it's going to require manually removing lines from
    | the registry, something I dread!
    |
    | Has anyone here had any encounters with this horrble program and if so, do
    | my symptoms sound familiar, is this most likely my problem?
    |
    | I have a copy of "Spy Sweeper", I'll try that first!
    |
    | Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    |
    | Thanks!
    | --
    | Ray