I'm putting together a new computer:

Gigabyte Aurora 570 (need it to fit?)
Galaxy II Liquid Cooling
Q6600 (hopeful OC 3.0-3.4)
evga 8800 gtx OC
2x 320 barracuda 7200.10 raid 0
2gb crucial ballistix pc-8500 ram
p5n32-E sli 680i mb

Originally I had decided on the OCZ Gamexstream 700w because it was an inexpensive highly rated product, but after thinking about wanting to be able to pop in a second 8800 gtx in the future when the price drops it didn't fit in. I then thought maybe the 1010 Gamexstream because it is also inexpensive compared to many other 1k watts power supplies, but that isn't sli certified yet (is it good enough?). Do you have any recommendations for a psu that will work with this system and has the power to run 2x 8800gtx OC sli and the rest of my components? As you can see this is a somewhat budget build for a "higher" end pc. I'm not looking for a $500 power supply, but I want one that's gtx sli capable and proven. Any help would be appreciated.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Allright... some help will be up from other. It's kinda late at night around here.

I would search for PSU reviews in this site and also in www.anandtech.com. There are several others but I normally visit these twos, too much infos would fry my brain. IMO, I would trust the review from expert rather than listen to too many people with different background and level of knowledge. Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than a hundred dollar on PSU for a $1,000 system.

I personally think that it's only cost the manufacturer a few percent of the price they sell us. See that $15 PSU ? How would you think it cost them to make this unit? 1kw PSU is way over price and it won't cost them much more to make one then sell us for rip-off price.

SteelZ

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
A 700W PSU seems Sweet!.
A Rig like urs with single 8800GTX could run on a proper true power 500WPSU as it only uses around 400W.
Adding another GTX would bumb the power useage to about ~580
So 700W seems sweet but just in case your going on an upgrade spree and getting 10 HDD or something. 750W would Be the safest 800W or more is just too damn expensive.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Any of these power supplies will do for a single gpu setup.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110 (I have used this one in a 8800GTX SLI build for my brother, no problems)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817233002
If you really want to go SLI you should get a good quality PSU, cutting costs on your PSU is not a good idea.
You could get the regular 8800GTX and OC it yourself, the money you save would be better spent on a good PSU.

visch1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
"I personally think that it's only cost the manufacturer a few percent of the price they sell us. See that $15 PSU ? How would you think it cost them to make this unit? 1kw PSU is way over price and it won't cost them much more to make one then sell us for rip-off price."
I happen to think PSUs are high in price also but without a profit why be in business? I just overpaid $200 for a good one. So an option might be to build your own. Would you know where to begin? Make sure your insurance is paid up, and you don’t care about burning up everything in your PC case. There’s an old expression: BUY CHEAP GET CHEAP.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I went to the extreme power supply calculator site. With your given set up (including pump), it claims you need about 630 watts @ 100% CPU usage (which I doubt you'd be at constantly). 650 watts would probably handle it, and 700 clearly will with no issues.

I'm building a system like yours, Q6600, x1900xtx (has about the same wattage requirement) 4 gigs ram, fans, pump, etc and mine needs about 610 watts. I am bought a 650 watt psu (seasonic,due to amperage stability) and that SHOULD handle everything, including an OC and pump.

If you really don't feel safe and need bigger, you might want to get a larger PSU like the enermax series. I have the enermax galaxy 1000 watt on a dual opty board. The board requires 645 watts w/ the CPUs, then my x1900xtx, 8 gigs ddr1 (1 gig sticks), raid card, 7 HDDs, two independent cooling loops (2 pumps of course), 9 total fans. The psu is so stable, when I have a brown out, I don't lose power.

Stability in a computer in essential and I would not skimp on it. If you have a surge or some other problem, you could easily fry it. A better PSU will handle the load better and keep steady amperage across its rail(s).

Get a decent PSU, you won't be sorry.