Sign in with
Your question

Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme heavy and bending motherboard?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 4, 2007 3:14:51 PM

I currently have an Freezer 7 Pro that is much too loud, so I've decided on getting the Ultra120 Extreme along with a very quiet fan. Only thing that worries me is its size; will it be able to mount onto a MSI p6n platinum without bending or warping the motherboard due toit's weight?

Also, has anyone installed one of these on a p6n platinum successfully? I'm fairly sure it will fit, but even my Freezer 7 Pro gets a bit close to the memory slots and the heatsink on the motherboard.

Thanks for your help!
August 4, 2007 4:08:10 PM

I've just physically installed the very same on an Asus p5n32-sli deluxe/antec p180 case. Fits nicely right beneath the top case fan and infront of the rear fan and clears all motherboard essentials. I AM experiencing a problem with the cpu fan and the just as soon as the windows logo comes on it goes black and the screen is turned off. Cpu fan error message posts before windows logo with f1 to resume. Do you happen to know a work around? I have pentium d 830.
August 4, 2007 11:05:07 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have this yet. I am still in the decision to buy. :/ 
Related resources
August 5, 2007 1:34:25 AM

No, the Ultra 120 Extreme won't bend the motherboard. Many people use it with no ill effects.

One thing you can do if you feel it is too heavy, is strap the HSF to a rail or something, to help support the weight. However, in doing this, you do not want to pull the weight up too much, or else you face bending the board the other way.
August 5, 2007 6:22:20 PM

Thanks Groveling_ Wyrm! That's just what I needed to know.
August 11, 2007 12:38:58 PM

Freexer 7 pro, loud? Shouldnt be any louder then the U120E.

Simply buy a fan for it that has speed control, like an Antec Tri Cool.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2007 1:05:09 PM

Arctic Freezer 7 pro, loud?, you must have the hearing of a bat! :o 
August 16, 2007 4:35:33 AM

True that... That thing is very quiet.
October 12, 2007 9:38:47 PM

Groveling_Wyrm said:
No, the Ultra 120 Extreme won't bend the motherboard. Many people use it with no ill effects.

"One thing you can do if you feel it is too heavy, is strap the HSF to a rail or something, to help support the weight. However, in doing this, you do not want to pull the weight up too much, or else you face bending the board the other way.
"

I was thinking of using a guitar string of known guage attached to a rail and tightening until a desired pitch is reached. Guitar strings are calibrated very accurately in terms of pitch vs tension. I'm trying to hang a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a Scythe SFF21F fan attached. This combo is really heavy and has a large torque moment because of the height of the cooler. Since it's in a vertical tower, that combo would put a large torque on the motherboard.
I
October 12, 2007 9:50:39 PM

I should have said "pitch vs tension vs length." I would probably use a "B" string since it's plain (not wound).
October 17, 2007 11:44:26 PM

I just tried to refine my torque estimates using known weights (sticks of butter) and a ruler. My best guess to date is aboutr 120 ounce-inches or about 5/8 foot-lb.
October 19, 2007 9:42:46 PM

Wth, when you're not at load the Fzr7pro is almost silent, you can even tune the fan speed in BIOS to change with the temps.

I think you must have installed that wrong in the first place, the fact you think that this new one is bending your mobo isn't exactly much reassurance either.

edit: just noticed i already posted same thing lol.... a while back. funny how my opinion hasn't changed since then :D  my frz7pro is in my brothers computer silent, my Ultima-90 is in my computer being bloody noisy. The fan on it is sooooooooo getting replaced lol. Want my computer to do under 20DBA :D 
!