G

Most likely unless there are compatibility issues with your SATA controller. The SATA specs are fully backward compatible with the older generation technology. I have heard that some of the VIA/SIS/NFORCE chipsets may have compatibility problems with newer generation SATA devices but likely those would be driver or bios fixable. Best bet would be to let us know more of your system specifications for a more definitive answer.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
there's no such thing as a SATA 1 or SATA 2 "device" There is a SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 spec though but 2.0 is all extensions not a generational change. Where on earth are you getting "3"? *confused*

The speed negotiation is supposed to be fully backwards compatible at both the host and device so a 300mBps drive should work fine on a 150mBps controller but some of the early controllers did have issues. Many 300mBps SATA drives don't even have jumpers (SATA drive jumpers are not spec compliant).

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. It should work.

G

As long as the physical cable connection doesn't change, newer hard drives should work on an older first gen SATA controller. You just won't be able to take advantage of the new features/benefits such as NCQ (Native Command Queing).

Flasher702 -- SATA III (Google it) will be 600Mb/s throughput as opposed to SATA II of 300Mb/s and SATA I at 150Mb/s. SATA 3 is still in final development and according to the last thing I read was to be released at the end of 2007 to early 2008.