July 23, 2007 12:47:23 AM

I built a new computer with the following specifications:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athalon 64 x2 6000+
2gb Patriot RAM
AeroCool 620 PSU
Sapphire HD 2900 XT
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500gb HD

The computer appears to be booting, but I get no output to the monitor. What could cause such a problem? I have tried putting the HD 2900 in both PCI-e slots, and I get no output from either. Could this be caused by the motherboard?

More about : blank monitor boot

July 23, 2007 12:57:19 AM

I'm not sure but doesn't a motherboard have in built gfx chipsets so you could try without any of the gfx cards (that might just be me displaying my ignorance but hey)
July 23, 2007 12:58:17 AM

Masterfulchuck said:
I built a new computer with the following specifications:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athalon 64 x2 6000+
2gb Patriot RAM
AeroCool 620 PSU
Sapphire HD 2900 XT
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500gb HD

The computer appears to be booting, but I get no output to the monitor. What could cause such a problem? I have tried putting the HD 2900 in both PCI-e slots, and I get no output from either. Could this be caused by the motherboard?

What monitor do you have? I would get a VGA adapter and try using the VGA connector from the monitor.
Related resources
July 23, 2007 12:59:33 AM

OP's ASUS MB does not have onboard graphcs.
July 23, 2007 2:56:18 AM

I am using a VGA adapter. My monitor is a Viewsonic CRT.
July 23, 2007 3:17:35 AM

There are a number of possibilities.

1. The monitor may no longer be working properly. Test the monitor on a different system to determine if that is the case.

2. The video card is defective. Test the video card in a different system.

3. Your power supply may not be supplying enough power to the video card or the power it is supplying is "dirty". Test with another power supply.

4. The PCI-e controller built into the northbridge is defective (in other words, your motherboard is defective). Plug a known to work video card in the PCI-e slot to test this possibility.

Hopefully you have a friend with a system who could help you perform all the above tests.

HTH.
July 23, 2007 5:06:37 AM

Thank you for the reply!

1. I'm posting on the very same monitor.

As for all the rest, I don't know anyone with a system that even has PCI-e graphics. Everyone uses a laptop these days.
!