crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
My plextor dvd burner seems to have worn out after 2.5 years of moderate use. It will no longer read or write any disc. I have opened up the drive and there is nothing obvious to fix. the discs will spin, the laser tracks and flashes, but after a second it stops.

The insides look absolutely perfect - it's probably 95% in good working order. So the normal thing to do is just chuck it away and get a new one, but putting all that lead and other toxic substances into a furnace or landfill is not an acceptable option to me.

I have been searching the web in order to get some sort of clue as to how to diagnose and fix dvd burner issues. Not surprisingly, there isn't much writen on this subject. I know it isn't the most economic way to solve the problem, but what I want to know is what is the most ecological solution?

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
You likely do not have the test equipment to find out what is wrong or you would not be asking this question. Check the web or your telephone directory for a e-waste disposal center. Electronics are ecologically recycled.

Large electronics like monitors etc now carry a e-waste disposal fee tacked on to the purchase like automobile tires in the states at least where I am in California.

You are probably starting to see a trash can with the no symbol over it (circle with a slash) which means it is illegal to put it in that furnace or landfill. The Salvation Army will even take your e-waste as will some large computer store chains like PC-Club.

One of the students in one of my classes has a family business that recycles e-waste in mass. He occasionally runs across some good finds in the process. Amazing how many 12 to 18 month old systems get thrown away because someone has a virus and it is to much trouble to have it repaired versus buying new right now, crazy Californians I guess.

srtboy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Here are a couple things I would do before throwing it in the trash.

1. Change the power molex and IDE cable.
2. Change IDE driver
3. Use a dvd lens cleaner if you have one
4. Disassemble the drive and clean lens with alcohol and Q-tip.

These are just a few suggestions. Here is a forum with some helpful information about optical drives.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

If you fail to fix the drive and need a drive try one of these.

SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153
PATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151133

G

DVD burners are a dime a dozen these days.. Not worth trying to fix.. I have a Plextor 716SA that cost me around $150 when I bought it and now I can buy the 760 which is faster for under $70. Better yet, the LG's are under $40 and if they die in a year its no big loss. I do believe if you call Plextor they can refurbish it for you but for how much I don't know.

crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
"Electronics are ecologically recycled."

I just listened to PCmag's latest podcast. They said that PC recycling is a scam. It just gets subcontracted out to china where they burn the waste and release the fumes into the atmosphere. Waiting for a full report on this...

crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Thanks for the tips, but they have not had any effect.