Sign in with
Your question

got a boot problem

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2007 5:30:05 AM

just built a new pc, msi p6n sli , e6420, 2gb geil ram,8800gts 640, seagate 250gb sata hd, sony/nec dvd burner, lite-on dvd drive, pc power 750 silencer , now i see the memory post,cpu speed , and i also changed to the boot order for the dvd drive to be first boot, actually have tried both drives, and i know the lite-on works(out of old computer) i keep getting a message thats says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive and press any key"

i see all drives in bios , hd, and dvd burner are sata, lite-on dvd drive is ide and the only device on that channel oh and it is also set to master.

i have tried the ide drive on both channel with the same results.

More about : boot problem

July 23, 2007 5:48:13 AM

You have to update the bios first before you sata DVD driver will work. Do you have EZ-Flash 2 for FAT32 flash drives. Have you tried to clear CMOS by removing that flat battery and moving the jumper yet.
July 23, 2007 6:10:00 AM

Make sure you've selected the correct boot order in BIOS. You'll need to make the LiteOn DVD the 1st boot device and after that it should be good. Put your XP CD in it and because it's IDE it should work fine. Nice build btw.
Related resources
July 23, 2007 7:06:55 AM

yeah i did that, the ide drive is first boot and still says same thing.
July 23, 2007 8:05:11 AM

Change the dvd to 'cls' or 'cable select' then try. If that doesn't work try a new ide cable, csl settings and try that. If it still doesn't work, try master then slave... Some ide ports are picky about the cables and the settings.

Does your bios have the option to show you what the port is set to?
July 24, 2007 3:26:18 AM

"Change the dvd to 'cls' or 'cable select' then try. If that doesn't work try a new ide cable, csl settings and try that. If it still doesn't work, try master then slave... Some ide ports are picky about the cables and the settings.

Does your bios have the option to show you what the port is set to?"

i did all that- and same thing- the ports are set to disabled- i changed it and tried all the ports - same thing....am I looking at a dead mb here?
July 24, 2007 4:50:18 AM

I'd be suspicious of the MB.... Both ide ports are bad, there is no setting that works. I'd get an RMA.
July 24, 2007 8:38:07 AM

what version and OS are you trying to boot from? older XP (before the service packs) won't recognize a SATA drive. Period. You would have to get a floppy drive then start your boot off that to download the appropriate packs. My friend had to go that route.
I am in the middle of the same situation, but I have a copy with sp1 on it and I am told that I will have to press f6 and download my mb drivers before resuming the boot.
Course these guys no more than me.
July 24, 2007 9:18:06 AM

I agree with croc, it wouldn't be the first time someone had a dead port. My last build I did have a dead sata port but I had five more that were good. I know it sucks but computers aren't perfect either.
July 25, 2007 1:22:29 AM

ok heres an update-- the biomed dept at the hosp i work at installed a ghost image of xp sp2-i cant activate it because of not having a key - but i thougth if there is a working os on it it might boot off the cd I have to install xp-- well it still wont boot off the cd, ide or sata drive, so now it has an OS on it, but I cant log into it because I have to activate windwos first- so I am at a loss as to why this thing wont autorun this cd- oh and its(the cd) worked before.
!