COMCAST help for friend!

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 16, 2005 8:42:41 PM

I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.

I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video inputs
to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.

Problem:
The TV is connected via component.
The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a 16:9
set.
There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or 1080i.

Questions:
How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?

More about : comcast friend

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:26:03 PM

Richard C. wrote:

> I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>
> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video
> inputs to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>
> Problem:
> The TV is connected via component.
> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
> 16:9 set.
> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or
> 1080i.
>
> Questions:
> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?

Get an RF modulator.
--
Tim Weaver
Anonymous

how can he see hd on a sd set?

anyway, if it's the moto, then it has those settings...look it up on moto's
site...you turn it off and then press menu or something like that

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>
> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video inputs
> to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>
> Problem:
> The TV is connected via component.
> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
16:9
> set.
> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or 1080i.
>
> Questions:
> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?

March 17, 2005 12:12:42 AM

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> how can he see hd on a sd set?

=================================
HD can be seen on ANY TV in downconverted 480i.
I have exactly that set-up in my main floor theater with an older Pioneer
RPTV.
==================================
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:13:44 AM

"Tim Weaver" <tmw99999BYTE_ME_SPAMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard C. wrote:
>
>> I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>>
>> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video
>> inputs to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>>
>> Problem:
>> The TV is connected via component.
>> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
>> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
>> 16:9 set.
>> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or
>> 1080i.
>>
>> Questions:
>> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
>> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
>> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?
>
> Get an RF modulator.
> --
> Tim Weaver
===============================
Are you sure you understand the problem and situation?
It does not sound like it.
The picture is viewed via COMPONENT cables.
=============================
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:24:38 AM

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>
> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video inputs
> to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>
> Problem:
> The TV is connected via component.
> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
> 16:9 set.
> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or 1080i.
>
> Questions:
> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?

See if this helps:

To get into the setup menu, turn the cable box off, press menu, and you
should see a white screen with black lettering. Go down to the line that
says something like 1080i output, or 480 output, (I can't remember what it
says, it's the 3rd line down). If you switch this to 480i, you should see a
full screen picture. To get out of the setup menu, press menu again, then
power again. Done.

Steve
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:53:18 AM

"Steven de Mena" <demenas@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>>
>> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video
>> inputs to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>>
>> Problem:
>> The TV is connected via component.
>> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
>> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
>> 16:9 set.
>> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or
>> 1080i.
>>
>> Questions:
>> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
>> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
>> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?
>
> See if this helps:
>
> To get into the setup menu, turn the cable box off, press menu, and you
> should see a white screen with black lettering. Go down to the line that
> says something like 1080i output, or 480 output, (I can't remember what it
> says, it's the 3rd line down). If you switch this to 480i, you should see
> full screen picture. To get out of the setup menu, press menu again, then
> power again. Done.
>
> Steve

Thanks!

That did it.
Why does Comcast hide such an improtant menu and not document it?
All of my DirecTV receivers show in detail how to do such things.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:20:58 PM

Richard C. wrote:

> "Tim Weaver" <tmw99999BYTE_ME_SPAMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Richard C. wrote:
>>
>>> I am used to OTA/DirecTV HD units that have a multitude of options.
>>>
>>> I convinced a friend who has a 4:3 SD TV with component and S-video
>>> inputs to get the comcast HD box so that he can view HD stations.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> The TV is connected via component.
>>> The HD stations are all FS with the sides whacked off.
>>> There are NO settings in the box to tell it if you have a 4:3 set or a
>>> 16:9 set.
>>> There are no settings in the box to tell it to output 480i, 720p or
>>> 1080i.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> How does this box know that it needs to ouptut 480i (which it is doing)?
>>> How can it be set up to letterbox the HD rather than crop the sides?
>>> Is Comcast lying when they say this is an HD box?
>>
>> Get an RF modulator.
>> --
>> Tim Weaver
> ===============================
> Are you sure you understand the problem and situation?
> It does not sound like it.
> The picture is viewed via COMPONENT cables.
> =============================

Yes. That's why I said get an RF modulator. Or get an updated Motorola
box.
--
Tim Weaver
Anonymous

> Richard C. wrote:
>
>> "Tim Weaver" <tmw99999BYTE_ME_SPAMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Get an RF modulator.
>>> --
>>> Tim Weaver
>> ===============================
>> Are you sure you understand the problem and situation?
>> It does not sound like it.
>> The picture is viewed via COMPONENT cables.
>> =============================
>
> Yes. That's why I said get an RF modulator. Or get an updated Motorola
> box.
> --
> Tim Weaver
==========================
Which is still the wrong answer.
RF modulator has nothing to do with component cables.
Thanks for nothing.........................
===========================
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:45:48 PM

Richard C. wrote:

>>> Are you sure you understand the problem and situation?
>>> It does not sound like it.
>>> The picture is viewed via COMPONENT cables.
>>> =============================
>>
>> Yes. That's why I said get an RF modulator. Or get an updated Motorola
>> box.
>> --
>> Tim Weaver
> ==========================
> Which is still the wrong answer.
> RF modulator has nothing to do with component cables.
> Thanks for nothing.........................

An RF modulator converts a component connection to RF, which is fine for
your friend who has an SDTV. The reason I say this is because most of the
new Comcast boxes don't have an RF output.

And I was only trying to help. There's no need to be so goddamned snotty.
--
Tim Weaver
Anonymous

>>> Yes. That's why I said get an RF modulator. Or get an updated Motorola
>>> box.
>>> --
>>> Tim Weaver
>> ==========================
>> Which is still the wrong answer.
>> RF modulator has nothing to do with component cables.
>> Thanks for nothing.........................
>
> An RF modulator converts a component connection to RF, which is fine for
> your friend who has an SDTV. The reason I say this is because most of the
> new Comcast boxes don't have an RF output.
>
> And I was only trying to help. There's no need to be so goddamned snotty.
> --
> Tim Weaver
===============================
RF is the absolute WORST connection for any picture.
I was being snotty because you answer has nothing to do with the problem.

The problem was adjusted when I found out how to get into the menu.
The setup is perfect now and the picture is great.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:58:15 PM

Richard C. wrote:

> RF is the absolute WORST connection for any picture.

Not for analog channels.

> I was being snotty because you answer has nothing to do with the problem.

Oh well, in that case, it's all excused. Instead of being polite to a
person, feel free to be a bastard.

> The problem was adjusted when I found out how to get into the menu.
> The setup is perfect now and the picture is great.

Congratulations. How does it feel to have giant testicles?
--
Tim Weaver
Anonymous

> Richard C. wrote:
>
>> RF is the absolute WORST connection for any picture.
>
> Not for analog channels.

================================
Your ignorance is appalling!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:38:15 PM

It's not Comcast per se, it's the way the Moto box works. The setup
functions are accessed by pressing the menu button when the STB is off.

--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

> That did it.
> Why does Comcast hide such an improtant menu and not document it?
> All of my DirecTV receivers show in detail how to do such things.

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:38:16 PM

"MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not Comcast per se, it's the way the Moto box works. The setup
> functions are accessed by pressing the menu button when the STB is off.

It's not in the documentation for the Moto box that Comcast gave to me, so I
do blame them. I think the opinion is that us users are too stupid to be
able to make any technical setup decisions on our own. The Comcast
technician who came out to setup my PVR was clueless.

Steve
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:46:33 PM

> "MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
> > It's not Comcast per se, it's the way the Moto box works. The setup
> > functions are accessed by pressing the menu button when the STB is off.
>
> It's not in the documentation for the Moto box that Comcast gave to me, so
> do blame them. I think the opinion is that us users are too stupid to be
> able to make any technical setup decisions on our own. The Comcast
> technician who came out to setup my PVR was clueless.
>
> Steve

The Comcast tech that came to install my Comcast HD box was color blind so
he couldn't connect the component cables right so he had to call in another
tech. GEEZ!.
--
Bearman
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Richard C. wrote:

> Your ignorance is appalling!

Feel better?
--
Tim Weaver
Anonymous

--

=================================
HD can be seen on ANY TV in downconverted 480i.
I have exactly that set-up in my main floor theater with an older
Pioneer
RPTV.
==================================

Yes, but it's no longer HD!

Bill
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:55:03 AM

and you're welcome, cunt

> --
>
> "Tim Weaver" <tmw99999BYTE_ME_SPAMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message

Motorola
> >> ==========================
> >> Which is still the wrong answer.
> >> RF modulator has nothing to do with component cables.
> >> Thanks for nothing.........................
> >
> > An RF modulator converts a component connection to RF, which is fine for
> > your friend who has an SDTV. The reason I say this is because most of
the
> > new Comcast boxes don't have an RF output.
> >
> > And I was only trying to help. There's no need to be so goddamned
snotty.
> > --
> > Tim Weaver
> ===============================
> RF is the absolute WORST connection for any picture.
> I was being snotty because you answer has nothing to do with the problem.
>
> The problem was adjusted when I found out how to get into the menu.
> The setup is perfect now and the picture is great.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:58:29 AM

"Bill Sharpe" <billsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message

> "Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> --
>
> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> how can he see hd on a sd set?
>>
> =================================
> HD can be seen on ANY TV in downconverted 480i.
> I have exactly that set-up in my main floor theater with an older
> Pioneer
> RPTV.
> ==================================
>
> Yes, but it's no longer HD!
>
> Bill

================================
True.......
But it is DVD quality and vastly superior to standard NTSC.
Try it, you will like it.
=================================
March 18, 2005 9:20:54 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:58:29 -0800, "Richard C."
<post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:

> =================================
> HD can be seen on ANY TV in downconverted 480i.
> I have exactly that set-up in my main floor theater with an older
> Pioneer
> RPTV.
> ==================================
>
> Yes, but it's no longer HD!
>
> Bill
>
>===============================
>True.......
>But it is DVD quality and vastly superior to standard NTSC.
>Try it, you will like it.
>=================================

You mean you'll get the kind of video picture quality that people
signed up for cable tv in the first place, but the companies like
Comcast have been too cheap or incompetent to provide, even though
they charge about $50 for a rather minimal cable package, not even
covering digital.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:54:48 PM

================================
True.......
But it is DVD quality and vastly superior to standard NTSC.
Try it, you will like it.
=================================

Have tried it and do like it. I route a 480i signal from the cable box
to my VCR. Yes, the picture is very good, but it ISN'T HD.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:49:00 PM

> "Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> ================================
> True.......
> But it is DVD quality and vastly superior to standard NTSC.
> Try it, you will like it.
> =================================
>
> Have tried it and do like it. I route a 480i signal from the cable box
> to my VCR. Yes, the picture is very good, but it ISN'T HD.

==============================
That is for sure..............

I have full HD on a Pioneer Elite 710 in my main theatre, but use the
downconverted upstairs on an older RPTV.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:50:31 PM

Totally wrong answers are of no help.

I was just looking for a proper answer....and I got it......and it ain't RF.

Just what makes YOU feel so hot about yourself?

=========================
"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
news:D gH_d.35315$Q83.13092@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
WOW, how bout flipping off and get your answers from people
on your own intellectual level then....... sheesh

What kind of upbringing leads to people feeling entitled??

Richard C. wrote:

==========================
Which is still the wrong answer.
RF modulator has nothing to do with component cables.
Thanks for nothing.........................
===========================

--
Ric Seyler
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:02:36 PM

the C. IS for cunt, right?

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
I have no idea what you are trying to prove.
I asked for help.
Someone gave GOOD help and my problem is now solved.
Someone else gave half-assed BAD information, I told them that their
information was of no use for the problem I was having.

Big deal.
Grow up and live with it.
==============================
"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
Well you came to a place that is required to provide you with absolutely
nothing.
Everyone here are just regular people that take their own time to try and
help
others with problems and discuss HDTV. For someone to come here and
give a snide, arrogant, and false sense of entitlement remarks to someone
who is under no obligation to try and help you at all, kinda chaps my ass.

You do understand no one here is getting paid to answer anything from you,
right?
If you don't understand what I'm trying to say, it would explain you
actions, completely........

Richard C. wrote:

Totally wrong answers are of no help.

I was just looking for a proper answer....and I got it......and it ain't RF.

Just what makes YOU feel so hot about yourself?

--
Ric Seyler
March 20, 2005 4:59:46 AM

bearman wrote:
> "Steven de Mena" <demenas@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>"MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>It's not Comcast per se, it's the way the Moto box works. The setup
>>>functions are accessed by pressing the menu button when the STB is off.
>>
>>It's not in the documentation for the Moto box that Comcast gave to me, so

>>do blame them. I think the opinion is that us users are too stupid to be
>>able to make any technical setup decisions on our own. The Comcast
>>technician who came out to setup my PVR was clueless.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> The Comcast tech that came to install my Comcast HD box was color blind so
> he couldn't connect the component cables right so he had to call in another
> tech. GEEZ!.

Mine had no idea what I was talking about when I told him red was
COMPLETELY missing from the picture - he first insisted he saw nothing
wrong, then insisted it must be my TV (despite the fact that all other
inputs looked great). When I told him one of the RGB contacts (red,
duh) must not be solid, he said "What's RGB?". I asked him to make sure
all three cables were plugged in securely at each end, at which point
the picture "magically" regained red <rolling eyes>.

- John
!