Case fan configuration, what is good?

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I just built my first pc last week, and all went well, except I am getting unusually high temps on my core 2 duo e6600 during idle. Between 50-53 on both cores. And I'm beginning to think it's occuring maybe because my case's fan configuration is whacked. It came with four fans, two intake, two exhaust. The first intake(120mm) is on the front bottom, underneath the hdd. The second intake(80mm) is on the right side(left if you're looking from the front), and the first exhaust(80mm) is on the right side-one above the other. The second exhaust(80 mm) is at the back, underneath the psu. I switched the two side fans so both would be intake, blowing on the components, but don't know if that was a good thing to do or not. Is this a bad configuration? What's the ideal configuration in order to get the best airflow and cooling? Thanks

Here's the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
The "side vent" as they call it would be to keep the graphics card cool by venting air away from it. Presumably that air is coming from the front fan past the GPU.

The side fan could be a problem. If it's too far back it could be blowing air behind the CPU to just go straight out the back fan and forcing the CPU to recycle air. If you suspect that's the case you could try disconnecting that fan and covering the intake then monitoring the temps. If it's better take that fan and stick it at the front of the case with the other one as an intake.

ffchocobo

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Try this config:

Front 120: intake
Both side panel: intake
Rear: exhaust

Remember that your PSU fan is also an exhaust.

Could you post your cooler, it could be that you have installed it incorrectly or not enough/too much thermal paste on it.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I agree with ffchocobo the two side and front should be in and the back fan blowing out. I've never seen a case with a fan on the motherboard side like that but it kind of makes sense to remove any possible dead spots. with the side vent and the vent near the PCI slots the air will find a way out so positive pressure is the way to go. Also I would remount the HSF just to be sure it was installed properly.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

The stock Intel HSF blows down onto the heatsink so the answer to your question is no.